8721Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Was Job a Gnostic?

  • David Gallardo
    Dec 1 6:44 PM
      Actually, Mitchell is a Zen Buddhist. That some find hints of Gnosticism in
      his interpretation suggests to me that there are some points in common
      between the two--in particular, the illusory nature of the material world.

      I happen to like Mitchell's translations a lot--all the while keeping in
      mind that they are his interpretation (which I find spiritually insightful)
      more than a faithful rendering of the original text. And as such, it's
      sometimes useful to supplement his text with a more literal translation.

      @D

      O.t.p.s. One of my favorite books about Zen, if anyone is interested, is
      "Dropping Ashes on the Buddha: The teachings of Zen Master Seung Sahn"
      which Mitchell compiled and edited. Very entertaining.

      At 06:36 PM 11/30/2003 -0500, Gerry wrote:

      >Talk about gorgeous! Forget Job, maybe Mitchell is a Gnostic and doesn't
      >know it.
    • Show all 79 messages in this topic