8351Re: Messalians

  • Magusadeptus
    Sep 30, 2003
      Hello PMCV,

      > Well, Magusadeptus, you may need to clarify for us. I have heard
      the
      > name applied to Bogimils, but I don't get the impression that this
      is
      > what you are talking about. I know that Epihpanius talks about two
      > different groups by that name (which he tries to draw together in
      > some way I can't remember... but that sounds typical), but I guess
      > niether of those groups are who you are talking about.
      >
      > In any event, I am aware of no medieval groups that I would say are
      > technically "Gnostic" (with the possible exception of the
      Mandaeans,
      > but the jury is still out on that one), and I am really not
      familiar
      > with any Messalians besides the several different groups I already
      > mentioned. Maybe some of the other founders here know something, or
      > one of our many very knowledgable members can help.

      Perhaps this will help clarify. Here is the source that prompted my
      question about the Messalians:

      " The occultation of ancient alchemy's theoretical component can be
      partially explained by religious considerations. Alchemy, a sacred
      art
      in the Hellenistic East, employed the metal-tinting recipes as part of
      a redemptive ritual. Thus it competed with the new redemptive god of
      the Christians, who suppressed the alchemical texts. Despite
      persecution
      certain heretical Christian sects, particularly the Gnostics,
      continued to
      secretly practice the Sacred Art. It has recently been suggested that
      the alchemical-technological recipes may have passed surreptitiously
      into the West with Cathar missionaries. The Cathars, in turn, learned
      the
      recipes from the Messalians, a medieval Gnostic sect that is known to
      have practiced the Sacred Art and to have preserved secret books from
      antiquity. Other recipes may have come with migrating craftsmen who
      had been in contact with one or another of these heretical sectsÂ…"
      page 32, Science And The Secrets Of Nature, Books of Secrets in
      Medieval
      and Early Modern Culture, William Eamon, Princeton University Press.

      I appreciate your thoughts.

      Sincerely,
      Magusadeptus
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic