8320Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Stories

  • Rodney Cecil
    Sep 16, 2003
      On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:29:36 -0000
      lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      >Hmmm, there is another possibility that the Bible is
      >still considered
      >by some to be authoritative, but just not in a literal
      >sense.

      What you say is quite true Cari, about those who consider
      the Bible to be authoritative without it being inerrant "in
      all its parts" as one confession puts it. Again, I know
      (too often after the fact) that I make a lot of statements
      from my own personal experiences, often forgetting that
      others with totally different backgrounds may not realize
      what I'm trying to convey.

      >As far as going beyond the Bible to other sources, there
      >undoubtedly
      >are going to be those who will still interpret other
      >literature
      >through the eyes of orthodox-informed theology

      When I first became aware of Gnositicism I tended to read
      things like the Nag Hammadi library in this very manner. I
      guess old habits sometimes die hard.

      A couple months ago I read Elaine Pagels' _Beyond Belief_
      and came across a passage where she was saying that we
      extol artists for creativity and imagination but abhor the
      same qualities in theologians, whereas the ancient Gnostics
      valued them (if I'm off a little regarding what she
      actually said, forgive me; my memory sucks). I thought that
      her statement was very exciting, at least for me
      personally. Now, when I read the Old or New Testaments, or
      the Gospel of Truth for instance, I consciously try to take
      a "creative and imaginative" approach. Its interesting.

      Rodney
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic