8295Re: Stories

    Sep 13, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Rodney Cecil" <wvdog61@7...>
      wrote:

      > Lady,
      >
      > Thanks for telling me about your journey. As far as I know
      > there aren't any Gnostics (at least none that I'm aware of)
      > in this area so its really great to be able to converse
      > with others with similar interests and sort of "compare
      > notes" as it were.
      > It has been entirely through personal study that I've drawn
      > the conclusions regarding Gnosis I now have.
      >
      > >I'm curious. You mention how bitter you were about
      > orthodoxy. Were you brought up in a very conservative
      > environment by any chance?<
      >
      > I live in southern West Virginia and the entire culture is
      > conservative, so church life and home life were like mirror
      > images of one another so far as values were concerned. I
      > was raised by my grandparents who weren't really
      > "churchgoers" but the same values inhered nonetheless.
      > However I really believe that the "disconnect" between
      > Theology and Experience in my own life was entirely due to
      > Orthodoxy itself and not just to my particular
      > environmental setting. I've really lightened up on the
      > "bitterness" thing by the way, and am now quite
      > grateful for all that has happened in the past. It was just
      > that I felt betrayed by the "promise" of orthodoxy and the
      > attendant results that I felt that failure produced in my
      > life.
      > After a long, long absence from all things spiritual I've
      > done what at one time would have been the unthinkable for
      > me: I've become a member of the Episcopal Church. The
      > particular parish I'm a part of is about as far left
      > theologically and politcally as you can get, but *what*
      > they are
      > far left of is orthodoxy. This is, in a very real sense,
      > what
      > defines them and other Episcopalians who are left of the
      > spectrum, e.g. Marcus Borg (The God We Never Knew), and
      > Bishop Jack Spong (Rescuing the Bible From Fundamentalism).
      > I haven't spoken to my parish priest yet about my Gnostic
      > inclinations but have no doubt that he will welcome the
      > whole idea, which is part of the reason why I love these
      > folks so much.
      >
      > Have a great day Lady!
      >
      > Rodney

      Thank you, Rodney. I'll be curious, if you care to share later, how
      your Gnostic inclinations are received by the Episcopal priest.
      Perhaps you could expand on what you mean by "far left" of
      orthodoxy? I've had the experience of knowing a few very liberal
      Christians who have some knowledge of Gnosticism, yet they still
      retain concepts of a monotheistic, all loving, all powerful, all
      knowing God, not to mention adherence to atonement theology and a
      system emphasizing pistis vs. Gnosis.