8285Re: Hello I'm new here

    Sep 12, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "apx0n" <apx0n@y...> wrote:
      > I'm new to the group, but it appears lively, informed, and I look
      > forward to reading along. I'm sure there've been posts addressing
      > what I'm about to ask, but I was wondering if anyone might sum up
      how
      > the group sets bounds for what is 'gnostic' - or at least, in-
      bounds
      > for the group's purposes?
      >
      > Personally, I'm most interested in Valentinus and gnostic writers
      > that draw on John and Paul. I became interested in gnosticism in
      > college, after hearing a lecture by Elaine Pagels. I am an
      observant
      > Catholic, but enjoy reading Rumi and grew up in a Jewish home with
      ex-
      > hippie parents :) explain that one
      >
      > Hope to gain much from you all.
      >
      > Josh

      Hello, Josh. It sounds like your interests are in sync with the
      focus of our group (found in the description on the homepage). For
      our purposes, we focus on historical Gnosticism, those groups of the
      Late Antiquities that centered on a soteriology emphasizing
      Gnosis,... along with other related religious systems. This includes
      the relevance of these ancients to present-day interests and paths of
      our members.

      Do you happen to remember the topic of the Elaine Pagels lecture that
      you heard? I finally got around to buying her new book, _Beyond
      Belief_, which I just started reading. Considering your interest in
      John and Paul, she also wrote _The Gnostic Paul: Gnostic Exegesis of
      the Pauline Letters_ and _Johannine Gospel in Gnostic Exegesis:
      Heracleon's Commentary on John_, which you might find interesting if
      you're not already familiar with these books.

      There are many members who share your interest in Valentinus. Feel
      free to post regarding a topic that you'd like to pursue.