7951Re: 7 Sermons to the Dead/Jung

    Jul 3, 2003
      Hello lady_caritas

      On 03-Jul-03, you wrote:

      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "ron3702" <barroter@a...> wrote:
      >> Anyone here read this one? I'm at the moment plowing through this
      >> dense piece of work. Quite a bit to digest it is.
      > Hi, Ron. Yes, it certainly is that.
      > Here are some interesting comments from an interview with Gilles
      > Quispel (close friend of C. G. Jung) by Christopher Farmer (_Gnosis
      > Magazine_ #1 Fall/Winter 1985, p. 29):
      > Farmer: Whereas the ancient gnostics took the alternative of the
      > Unknown Father seriously, Jung certainly did not.
      > Quispel: Jung was not an atheist, so he did not, nor was he a pan-
      > psychologist, but he did have a very personal concept of God. As he
      > would say to his friends: "I can't express myself," although he did
      > once in the _Septem Sermones ad Mortuos_ (1916). And you will see
      > him, in all his later works, trying to formulate what he had
      > experienced then, in 1915, in a scholarly way. But he was furious,
      > for example, when Martin Buber identified him with the gnostics,
      > because he thought that his purpose and experience was different.
      > And I think he was right. For him, light and darkness and that whole
      > grim oceanic feeling which man has come from, is a real issue:
      > making light out of darkness the alchemical process.

      Chris is an old friend of mine, and I forwarded this message to him.
      Hope you don't mind lady_caritas.  Of course being identified as a
      Gnostic could have had very negative consequences for Jung in that
      day and age, though I think he was more alchemist than gnostic
      anyway. Now Quispel was really a gnostic, whether he admitted it
      publicly or not. A couple of short conversations with him at the
      Panarion Conference at Mt. St. Mary's in the '70s convinced me of
      that. And Scholem was really a Qabalist too, and very personable,
      though he never admitted that publicly either.