7838Re: Inspired Music

  • Ann Marie Long
    Jun 3, 2003
      If any of you guys use Easynews Newsgroups to download music and burn
      cds , this cd is posted in its entirety. It's on the complete album
      group. Just thought I would let you know.

      -- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...> wrote:

      > As summer approaches, I find myself with less and less time, but
      one thing I HAVE found time for is listening during my daily commute
      to a new CD I picked up recently. Having enjoyed a couple singles
      off the album since last summer, I had wanted Jack Johnson's
      Brushfire Fairytales for a while now, and am ever so glad I finally
      got it.

      > Maybe I relate to the Hawaiian-raised surfer's music because I,
      too, am an island native (different ocean, though). But since that
      sort of genre doesn't usually appeal to me, I think the deeper
      connection may lie elsewhere. I'm not saying this is some
      definitive, Gnostic album, but some of the lyrics really do have a
      philosophical bent.

      > Anyone interested can preview the songs here:
      >
      > http://www.jackjohnsonmusic.com/albums/2000_brushfirefairytales.aspx
      >

      > . . . or check out the lyrics on this page:

      http://www.jackjohnsonmusic.com/albums/2000_brushfirefairytales_lyrics
      .aspx

      > In the first track, "Inaudible Melodies," the artist goes so far as
      to refer to Plato's cave in pointing out how people often tend to
      miss the bigger picture.

      > In "Middle Man," we get a taste of Archontic influences in the
      subject's life, along with the resulting confusion-something many of
      us can probably relate to while feeling "stuck in the middle" between
      ignorant bliss and aspirations of enlightened detachment.

      > "Drink the Water" contains some brilliant imagery that could easily
      capture our struggle with getting caught up in the illusion of this
      world, and ultimately with our desire to be reunified with our true
      source.

      > Even "The News" can be seen as a poignant lesson in overcoming the
      woes of our temporal existence.

      > However I may end up interpreting the lyrics, the music really
      strikes a chord within me. It makes me feel as if I've been
      reacquainted with an old friend whom I had somehow forgotten-a
      sensation, BTW, that I've relished numerous times since first
      learning of Gnosticism.

      > Perhaps others have been similarly moved by music that they can
      relate to a Gnostic perspective. If so, I'm sure a critical review
      would be appreciated by other members as well.

      > Gerry
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic