7451Re: Nag Hammadi codexes

    Apr 4, 2003
      > Hello lady_caritas
      >
      > On 03-Apr-03, you wrote:
      >
      > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, ernststrohregenmantelrad
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > >> Hi sorry to butt in but...

      > >> without someone else dying for us.

      > >> and selective god, but who cares-at least WE're saved if we but
      > >> believe in Him.
      > >>>

      > >> I don't think this is good definition.
      > >>
      > >> For "sin" if you say we are born with it it means you implied
      the
      > >> "original sin" which didn't come into exsitance until Augestine
      of
      > >> Hippo. As you know Augestine went against the thinking of norm
      > >> in the church on many issues but some how this theology took
      > >> over the church.
      > >>
      > >> For "creator" it becomes the problem if you take into account
      > >> Marcion. So is Marcion "Gnostic" or "Pistic"?
      > >

      > > Hello, Ernst. If I may butt in, too...
      > >
      > > I think Gerry was offering definitions for what developed into a
      > > more dogmatic, pistic "orthodox" Christianity, which had been part
      > > of the discussion of this particular thread. The concept of
      original
      > > sin has been around for a long time and I wouldn't view Marcion as
      > > orthodox.
      > >
      > > Perhaps you'd like to offer a more general definition
      for "pistic"
      > > Christianity that would consider the points you brought up?
      > >
      > > Cari
      >
      > Also, neither the Baptists (except perhaps for Faldwell), nor the
      > Quakers nor the Unitarians believe in original sin. It is not
      > automatically a belief of Pistic Christians. The Baptists, at least
      > prove that.
      >
      > Regards
      > --
      > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

      Quite so, Mike! :-)

      Considering to whom Gerry was writing, I think it's possible he had
      Roman Catholicism in mind, a religion well known to Incognita, and
      perhaps he had no intention of offering this as a technical
      definition, but one to which Incognita could relate. He might have
      been oversimplifying to show conceptual differences between Gnostic
      and mainstream usage of terms. Just a guess.