7424Re: Nag Hammadi codexes

    Apr 3, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, ernststrohregenmantelrad
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Hi sorry to butt in but...
      >
      > > Pistic Christian:
      > >
      > > Sin = transgression; we're born with it, and can't escape it
      > without someone else dying for us.
      > >
      > > Creator = Loving, Supreme God, paradoxically also a jealous
      > and selective god, but who cares-at least WE're saved if we but
      > believe in Him.
      > >

      > I don't think this is good definition.
      >
      > For "sin" if you say we are born with it it means you implied the
      > "original sin" which didn't come into exsitance until Augestine of
      > Hippo. As you know Augestine went against the thinking of norm
      > in the church on many issues but some how this theology took
      > over the church.
      >
      > For "creator" it becomes the problem if you take into account
      > Marcion. So is Marcion "Gnostic" or "Pistic"?

      Hello, Ernst. If I may butt in, too...

      I think Gerry was offering definitions for what developed into a more
      dogmatic, pistic "orthodox" Christianity, which had been part of the
      discussion of this particular thread. The concept of original sin
      has been around for a long time and I wouldn't view Marcion as
      orthodox.

      Perhaps you'd like to offer a more general definition for "pistic"
      Christianity that would consider the points you brought up?