7121Re: Welcome new members

    Feb 3, 2003

      Reply to Ernst’s post #7119:

      >>Ich glaube, Sie haben keine Ahnung was Sie sagen. Falls, vermute ich daß Sie niemals den Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" von Border Television in England gesehen hat. Wenn Sie ihn gesehen hätte, würden Sie nicht schreiben was Sie geschieben hatten. Ich glaube, daß die Mädel nicht an die "Spacerace" dachte, sondern wie tagisch die ganze Situation ist.

        Die Teil 4 des Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" fängt mit dem Szene von der "Challenger" Explosion an. Zunächst redet Gilles Quispel im Dokumentar seine Erfahrung wärend des Krieges als er Kampfflugzeuge, die aus dem Himmel zerstörten, sah. Quispel dachte, das war ein schöner Anblick, aber auch tragisch. Er sagt dann, "Leben ist gleichzeitlich schön und tragisch." Und weiter sagt er, "Diese Gnostiker hatten recht. Das Universum hat doch ein Riß."<<

      Ernst, that quote is an excellent example, IMO, of how we view such events as we come to perceive the world as passersby.  The imagery of witnessing such a sight (falling from the sky) and the paradox of the simultaneous “beauty and tragedy” in our lives remind me of another contemporary quote that similarly captures the moment.  For anyone who missed the film, this comes from Kevin Spacey’s character in American Beauty, and I think it’s well worth the watching.

      I’d always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the second before you die.  First of all, that one second isn’t a second at all.  It stretches on forever like an ocean of time.

      For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching falling stars.

      And yellow leaves from the maple trees that lined our street.

      Or my grandmother’s hands, and the way her skin seemed like paper.

      And the first time I saw my cousin Tony’s brand, new Firebird.

      And Janie——and Janie.

      And Carolyn.

      I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me, but it’s hard to stay mad when there’s so much beauty in the world.  Sometimes I feel like I’m seeing it all at once, and it’s too much.  My heart fills up like a balloon that’s about to burst.

      And then I remember to relax and stop trying to hold onto it, and then it flows through me like rain.  And I can’t feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid, little life.

      You have no idea what I’m talking about, I’m sure, but don’t worry——you will someday.

      “Relax...,” huh—I know from experience that it can be difficult, but certainly something to shoot for.  ;-)