6555Re: Evolution

    Sep 7, 2002
      Hello, Incognita, Corax, Willy, B2aF, et al. ~

      Having caught up on reading replies, I'll gradually continue to
      address the many thoughtful ideas from your posts.

      Thank you, Corax, for pulling some ideas together on classical
      Gnosticism (Post #6552). My last post was a response to Incognita's
      look at evolution in our material world. Corax, you then commented
      how "the gnostics quest is liberation from materiality, not evolution
      within it." Very true, although as Hoeller remarked the ancients
      probably would not have objected to evolutionary theory as a function
      of the material world. Evolution would have just been another way of
      describing the flawed world most likely. It wouldn't have affected
      what was essential, the human spirit, the divine spark.

      So, why even discuss evolution? Well, as Incognita pointed out, we
      obviously live in this material world and are curious about it. But
      also, . . . this concept of evolution has unfortunately permeated our
      language in how moderns often describe other things, like … evolution
      of the spirit. This would have seemed so contrary to a classical
      Gnostic approach. We find ourselves using temporal terms to describe
      knowledge not of this world; however, we do need to realize the
      inadequacy of language. ("The language of the spirit is not the
      language of the world." – Willy #6549) We talk of a Gnostic path of
      discovery, of recognition, of acquaintance, but perhaps should be
      very careful not to think of it as "evolutionary." This would seem
      to indicate a psychic approach, almost like climbing a never-ending
      ladder working through faith and deeds "evolving" or developing a
      spirit worthy of that projected personal, yet separate, god in the
      sky, whether near or far.

      Perhaps that is why this concept of evolving places a psychic person
      in that "midpoint" after this world. _The Gospel of Philip_
      describes this as "death." The psychic doesn't break through the
      barrier of the demiurge, but rather just keeps striving and
      stretching the limits of temporality without achieving resurrection
      while existing in this world. "While we exist in this world we must
      acquire resurrection, so that when we put off the flesh we might be
      found in repose and not walk in the midpoint: for many get lost along
      the way." (GPh)

      Well, `nuf for now. It's late and I'm beginning to not make sense to
      myself. lol