6510ISLAM AND THE AsIM OF LIFE

  • domiati
    Sep 2, 2002
      What is the purpose of my life? What is the purpose of your life?
      What is the purpose of our lives? Such questions occur frequently to
      thingking people.

      People answer these questions in different ways. Some people believe
      the purpose of life is getting wealthy. But these people what their
      purpose be after they have collected millions of dollars. So What?
      And then What? What will be their purpose after they get these
      millions of dollars? If the purpose of life is to become wealthy,
      there will be no purpose after becoming wealthy. And in fact, here
      comes the problem of some disbelievers or misbelievers. In some
      stages of their life. When they are collecting money is the target of
      life. When they collected the money which they have dreamt of, their
      life losses purpose and they live in tension and restlessness and
      suffer from the panic of nothingness.

      Can Wealth be an Aim?

      We often hear of a millionaire committing suicide. Sometimes, not the
      millionaire himself but his wife, son, or daughter. The question is
      this: can aiming at wealth bring happiness to the individual? In most
      cases the answer is NO. Is the purpose of collecting wealth is a
      standing purpose? As we know, the child of five years does not look
      for wealth: he prepares a toy to a million dollars. The adolescent of
      eighteen does not dream of wealth because he is busy with more
      important things. The old man of ninety years does not care for
      money, he is worried more about his health. This proves that wealth
      cannot be a standing purpose in all the stages of the individual's
      life.

      Wealth can do a little to bring happiness to a disbeliever, because a
      disbeliever is not sure about his end or his fate. A disbeliever does
      not know the purpose of life. And if he has a purpose, this purpose
      is doomed to be temporary or self destructive.

      What is the use of wealth to a disbeliever if he feels scared of the
      end and skeptical of everything. A disbeliever may gain a lot of
      money, but surely loses himself.

      Worshipping Allah as an Aim

      On the contrary, faith in Allah gives the believer the purpose of
      life he needs. In Islam, the purpose of life is to worship Allah. The
      term "Worship" covers all acts of obedience to Allah.

      The Islamic purpose of life is a standing purpose. The true Muslim
      sticks to this purpose throughout all the stages of his life, whether
      he is a child, adolescent, adult, or an old man.

      Worshipping Allah makes life purposeful and meaning especially with
      the framework of Islam. According to Islam this worldly life is just
      a short stage of our life. Then there is the other life. The first
      life and the second life are by the death stage, which is a
      transitory stage of the second life. The type of the second life a
      person deserves depends on his deeds in the first life. At the end of
      the death stage comes the day of judgment On this day, Allah rewards
      or punishes people according to their deeds in the first life.

      The First Life as an Examination

      So Islam looks at the first life as an examination of man. The death
      stage is similar to a rest period after the test, i. e., after the
      first life. The Day of Judgment is similar to the day of announcing
      the results of the examines. The second life is the time when each
      examinee enjoys or suffers from the outcome of his behaviour during
      the test period.

      In Islam, the line of life is clear, simple, and logical: the first
      life, death then the Day of Judgement, and then the second life. With
      this clear line of life, the Muslim has a clear purpose in life. The
      Muslims knows he is created by Allah. The Muslim knows he is going to
      spend some years in this first life, during which he has to obey God,
      because God will question him and hold him responsible for his deeds,
      whether done publicly or privately, because Allah knows all deeds of
      all people. The Muslim knows that his deeds in the first life will
      determine the type of his second life. The Muslim knows that this
      first life is very short one, one hundred years, more or less,
      whereas the second life is an eternal one.

      The Eternity of the second Life

      This concept of the eternity of the second life has a tremendous
      effect on a Muslim during his first life, habecause the Muslims
      believes that his first life determines the shape of his second life.
      In addition, this determines shape of his second life. In addition,
      this determination will be through the Judgement of Allah, the All
      just and Almighty.

      With this belief in the second life and the Day of Judgement, the
      Muslim's life becomes as purposeful as possible and as meaningful as
      possible. The Muslim's standing purpose is to go to Paradise in the
      second life.

      In other words, the Muslim's permanent purpose is to obey Allah, to
      summit to Allah to summit to Allah, to carry out His orders, and to
      keep in continues touch with Him through prayer (five times a day),
      through fasting (one month a year), through charity (as often as
      possible), and through pilgrimage (once in one's life).

      The need For a Permanent Purpose

      Disbelievers have purposes in their lives such as collecting money
      and property, indulging sex, eating, and dancing. But all these
      purposes are passing ones. All these purposes come and go, go up and
      down. Money comes and goes. Health comes and goes. Sexual activities
      cannot continue forever. All these lusts for money, food and sex
      cannot answer the individual's questions to himself: so what? Then
      What?

      However, Islam saves the Muslims from trouble of asking the question,
      because Islam makes it clear to the Muslim, from the very beginning,
      that the permanent purpose of the Muslim, in this life is to obey
      Allah in order to go to Paradise in the second life.

      We should know that the only way for our salvation in this life and
      in the hereafter is to know for sure our Lord who created us, believe
      in Him, and worship Him alone.

      We should also know our Prophet whom Allah had sent to all mankind,
      believe in Him and follow Him. We should, know the religion of truth
      which our Lord has commanded us to believe in, and practice it..

      Those in search of truth

      Who have an open mind and heart,

      Islamic Education Foundation

      Welcome You.

      Objectives: -

      To Convey the message of Islam

      To Educate Muslims aboof Islam

      To keep in close contact with new Muslims.

      Activities:

      Offering Courses and presenting lectures about Islam in several
      languages.

      Teaching Islam and Arabic.

      Teaching new Muslims to receive the Holy Quran.

      Helping Non- Muslims embrace Islam and complete the required
      procedures.

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic