6477[Gnosticism] updated Hoeller list of gnostic criteria [was Re: Hi Flag]

  • pessy@chez.com
    Aug 13, 2002
      eris never died. writes:

      Hoeller screws up everything again. He's biassed by Valentinians.

      Taking out marcionites for a while (they don't postulate a spark)

      > 1. There is an original and trancendental spiritual unity from which
      > emanated a vast manifestation of pluralities.

      not followed by Mani

      > 2. The manifest universe of matter and mind was created not by the
      > original spiritual unity but by spiritual beings possessing inferior
      > powers.

      not followed by Mani, Peratae

      > 3. One of the objectives of these creators is the perpetual separation of
      > humans from the unity (God).

      Not followed by Peratae

      > 9. Among those aiding the slumbering sparks, a particular position of
      > honor and importance belongs to a feminine emanation of the unity, Sophia
      > (Wisdom). She was involved in the creation of the world and ever since has
      > remained the guide of her orphaned human children.

      not followed by peratae, eastern sethites, eugnostos, naasseni, satornil,
      archontics, menandros, simo the mage, julius cassian

      For the following, prechristians
      (simo the mage, dositheos, menandros, eugnostos)
      nonchristian
      (eastern sethites)
      and antichristians
      (mandaeans)
      have to be a priori excluded

      > 11. The greatest of these messengers in our historical and geographical
      > matrix was the descended Logos of God manifest in Jesus Christ.

      Not followed by docetic soteriologists, like Basilide, Satornil, Kerynthos,
      ophites, Julius Cassian, Derdekeas

      > 12. Jesus exercised a twofold ministry; he was a teacher, imparting
      > instruction concerning the way of gnosis; and he was a hierophant,
      > imparting mysteries.

      not followed by antisacramentalists like julius cassian, archontites,
      derdekeas, carpocrates
      not consequently followed by docetic soteriologists

      > 13. The mysteries imparted by Jesus (which are also known as
      > sacraments) are mighty aids toward gnosis and have been entrusted by him
      > to his apostles and their successors.

      not followed by antisacramentalists
      not consequently followed by docetic soteriologists
      not followed by Satornil

      > 14. Through the spiritual practice of the mysteries (sacraments) and a
      > relentless and uncompromising striving for gnosis, humans can steadily
      > advance toward liberation from all confinement, material and
      > otherwise. The ultimate objective of this process of liberation is the
      > achievement of salvific knowledge and with it, freedom from embodied
      > existence and return to the ultimate unity.

      not followed by antisacramentalists

      All examples non-exclusive ... again

      Klaus Schilling
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic