6067Reply to pmcv - knowing vs. believing and inner vs. esoteric

  • ZELITCHENK
    Jun 11, 2002
      Thanks.

      I do not want to go in details (I did this in book -
      www.geocities.com/zelitchenk - Conversations 2-3), but I want to fix
      2 important moments you wrote about. First. The "to know" means to
      get experience - not only words (idea). To know something is to
      experience this "something". I think (I know) - this is most
      important in gnosticism.

      Second. If you do not mean historico-cultural investigation of the
      procedures of initiation in different "schools" (it would be very
      difficult if resolved at all problem, which in my taste is rather
      meaningless also), then the esoteric path is inner path of somebody
      who become Initiates. On the other hand, the phases of any inner
      path, when the person breaks through to something new (for himself,
      of course) are esoteric (for this person).

      Agree?
      AZ

      --- In gnosticism2@y..., pmcvflag <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Hey AZ, you ask...
      >
      > >2 simple questions. First. I see the difference between "to
      believe"
      > and "to know" is fundumental for you. Can you articulate this in
      more
      > details. What does it mean - "to know"? What does it mean - "to
      > believe"? Where is difference?<
      >
      > In the Gnostic system, the difference between believing (pistis
      > [faith]) and knowing "gnosis" is fundemental (after all, it
      > is "Gnosticism" not "Pisticism")
      >
      > One "knows" through a system of experience and critical
      perspective.
      > How for instance do you "know" that you are reading my message on a
      > computer message board? Belief on the other hand is only necessary
      > when we chose to maintain an idea despite the lack of enough
      evidence
      > or logic to give us reason to hold the idea in question. It doesn't
      > mean the belief is wrong, just that we draw a destinction on how
      the
      > conclusion should be reached.
      >
      > >Second. What is the difference between "esoteric path" and "inner
      > path"? What is it - "esoteric path"? <
      >
      > Esotericism literally referes to an initiatory process, though that
      > may be expressed in many forms and is certainly an "inner" process
      as
      > well. However, "inner path" is a very general destinction for any
      > kind of self examination, whereas "esoteric" referes to a more
      > specific and methodological approach, generally via a initiatory
      > system (alchemy for instance, or Freemasonry, Hermeticism,
      Kabbalah,