5973Re: (im-)Perfection

    Jun 5, 2002
      Hate to say it "Play Nice", but I'm forced to question your grasp on
      the notion of internal consistancy. Some of your statements simply
      don't pan out. I say this not to upset you, but to give you the
      opportunity to examine your statements a little more closely before
      you post them. Gerry and Cari are completely justified in questioning
      the way you come accross. However, let me base my points on the
      idealogical, for instance....

      If there is such a thing as the "Infinite" source, then you are right
      to some extent to point out that the notion of a "flaw" is in error
      (since no opposites exist there). On the other hand it also means
      that the "everything is good" ideal is equally in error. Someone once
      said that nothing is good or evil but that our thinking makes it so
      (yes, it was a Gnostic ;)).

      Let me post this again since I don't think it hit home....

      "Therefore they have introduced other types of explination, some
      saying that it is according to providence that the things which exist
      have thier being. These are the people who observe the stability and
      the conformity of the movement of creation. Others say that it is
      something alien. These are the people who observe the diversity and
      the lawlessness and the evil of the powers. Others say that the
      things which exist are what is destined to happen. These are the
      people who were occupied with this matter. Others that it is
      something in accordance with nature. Others say that it is self
      existent. The majority, however, all who have reached as far as the
      visible elements, do not know anything more than them."

      The difference between the Gnostic "flaw" and the New Age rose
      colored glasses? Well the difference is that we make our mistake
      conciously rather than out of ignorace or the pathological need to
      feel warm and fuzzy in spite of the dual nature necessary for time
      to exist. We do it for the sake of description. However, that isn't
      the problem. The fact is, until you know what Gnostics mean by the
      things they say, you don't really know if you agree or disagree, nor
      how to state what is right or wrong about it. The thing is, you are
      still doing so. The word for this behavior is "presumption", and many
      people find it annoying. I will be patient, as you have asked of us,
      but don't think that "patience" is the same as letting you off the
      hook where critical thinking is concerned.

      >Actually I don't "know" shit. But I do have some insights of where
      we may be able to find truth and how you can come to know it. And it
      has nothing to do with flaw and error.<

      If you "don't know shit", then that is about what the "insights" you
      offer are worth. That doesn't mean that they may not be true, they
      just haven't flowered into true cogniscence yet. Hold on to them,
      test them, and after you _really_ know what we are talking about see
      if they stand up to what you may learn here. We also believe we have
      some insights as to where to find truth, and how to come to know
      it.... and it has much to do with flaw and error (at least in an
      allegorical sense). To add to that, there are some here who know
      thier "shit" pretty well.

      I hope you are able to take this in the light it is meant. I am
      giving you a hard time, but it is not meant in an angry manner at
      all. I think the fact is that there are a few basic principles to
      Gnosticism that may still be a little foggy to you, let alone the
      deep stuff for now. Yes, there is a great deal of study that is going
      to be involved if you wish to have some understanding of Gnosticism
      (whether or not you decide you agre with it), and you stated that you
      are in fact curious. Any true esoteic path is going to be blood sweat
      and tears, expect some work and some concepts that had not previously
      hit you. This is a continual process, and any worth while esoteric
      path is a tremendous amount of work.