5879Re: Thomasine Metaphor or universal microcosm?

    May 16, 2002
      Play, thank you for your research (Message #5876). Just some

      You say, "These passages describe the human being as a microcosm of
      the universe, having the essences of all things in him- or herself.
      As the microcosm, human beings have the foundation to know, use, and
      enjoy all things. Of all creatures, humans have the widest scope of
      thought and action, encompassing all things, knowing and appreciating
      all things, guiding and prospering all things, and transcending all

      All that the Holy One created in the world He created in man."

      A Gnostic interpretation of "the Holy One" who is the creator of the
      world would be the Demiurge of Gnostic mythology, not the True God or
      Bythos (the Ineffable Infinite). The material universe is limited by
      its physicality as we are also in our human state.

      An important observation you made was that humans are capable
      of "transcending all things." That's the point here. Humans who
      become aware of the spiritual kingdom of the living father (not the
      demiurge) are able to transcend the "fog" of the material world. Oh,
      and this fog is very deceiving. That is why many feel that we are
      not always capable of awakening from our blindness ("sleep") to
      become aware of Gnosis without the assistance of a "savior" in
      addition to our own efforts. "Jesus said, `[…] I found them all
      intoxicated…'" (GTh, #28)

      Our "first duty" would not be to "love nature" or "love the
      creation." "Jesus said, `Whoever has become acquainted with the
      world has found a corpse …'" (GTh, #56) IOW, the material world is
      not the kingdom. Matter is equated with error. A flower might be
      beautiful and serve as a trigger for a spiritual epiphany, but the
      physical flower will eventually decay in this flawed world. We
      cannot know the Ineffable Infinite completely while in this physical
      state, or, as Will points out, we would cease to "be." However, we
      _can_ become acquainted with the True God by means of images
      reflected through our human conceptual filters. And this will serve
      as a segue to my reply to Will . . .

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic