5872Re: Thomasine Metaphor

  • wilbro99
    May 14, 2002
      --- In gnosticism2@y..., "play_nice_now" <searay@b...> wrote:
      > Seemingly contradictory eh? But then again, so are many
      > Logions in this Gospel. Probably because these Logions, or
      > sayings, are quotes taken out of context.
      >
      > How should a reader approach understanding the Gospel of
      > Thomas? What is it's purpose? What is it's message? What is it
      > trying to do exactly?
      >
      > peace,
      > play

      As I read through the GoT, #3 caught my attention. The meshing of
      living in poverty and being the poverty tells me that knowing oneself
      is a change in being, or, as I would have it, a shift in one's sense
      of self. As to what poverty is, I was immediately reminded of a two
      quotes (see below) I had archived. The poverty is the hunger of desire
      that drives the discontented to seek contentment (shades of the Buddha
      and the four noble truths), in a word, the seeker. There is a movement
      out of "poverty." As to how one then describes that which remains and
      that which no longer is is still a matter of description. I would have
      it that that which no longer is is the error and to no longer be in
      error is to be in the truth. The truth does not need to be defined,
      although it is well within the realm of poesy. As to defining what the
      error is, if that description reifies itself by ascribing the error to
      the act of a God, thus bringing into being a God, I would say that
      the error has reestablished itself in spades.

      #3.. When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will
      understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do
      not know yourselves, then you live in poverty, and you are the
      poverty."

      "For this is the nature of one that has desires, that he is ever
      discontented and dissatisfied, like one that suffers hunger; for what
      has the hunger which all the creatures suffer to do with the fullness
      which is caused by the Spirit of God? Wherefore this fullness that is
      uncreated cannot enter the soul, if there be not first cast out that
      other created hunger which belongs to the desire of the soul; for, as
      we have said two contraries cannot dwell in one person, the which
      contraries in this case are hunger and fullness." (St. John of the
      Cross, Ascent of Mount Carmel, Chapter VI 3)

      "What did I find? Not my 'I', for that is what I was in that way to
      find (I imagined, if I may put it so, my soul shut up in a box with a
      spring lock in front, which the outside surroundings would release by
      pressing the spring). - So the first thing to be resolved was this
      search for and discovery of the Kingdom of Heaven. A person would no
      more want to decide the externals first and the fundamentals
      afterwards than a heavenly body about to form itself would decide
      first of all about its surface, about which bodies it should turn its
      light side to and to which its dark side, without first letting the
      harmony of centrifugal and centripetal forces bring it into being and
      letting the rest develop by itself. One must first learn to know
      oneself before knowing anything else, (_gnothi seauton_). Only when
      the person has inwardly understood and then sees the course forward
      from the path he is to take, does his life acquire repose and meaning;
      only then is he free of that irksome, fateful traveling companion -
      that life's irony which appears in the sphere of knowledge and bids
      true knowing begin with a not-knowing (Socrates), just as God created
      the world from nothing." (Kierkegaard, Papers & Journals, Hannay, pp.
      34-35) (Papers, 1 August 35 I A 75)

      > --- In gnosticism2@y..., lady_caritas <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > So, back to Gospel of Thomas ~
      > >
      > > Logion 16: Jesus said, "People probably think that it is peace
      > that
      > > I have come to impose upon the world. And they do not
      > recognize that
      > > it is divisions that I have come to impose upon the earth – fire,
      > > sword, battle. . ."
      > >
      > > Logion 90: Jesus said, "Come (plur.) to me, for my yoke is
      > easy (to
      > > use) and my lordship is mild, and you find repose for
      > yourselves."
      > >

      > > Hmmm, . . . thoughts anyone?
      > >
      > > Cari
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic