5863Re: Jewish mysticism

    May 10 8:10 PM
      "Weasel" your way? Sheeesh, PMCV. No need to slither in. Grab the
      bubbly and jump right in. That goes for everyone else out there.
      The water's fine. Splashing is good. ;-)

      Yeah, I liked the paper, too. The way the author, Jay Michaelson,
      described the difference between the mystical experience of much
      Jewish mysticism and later Kabbalah reminds me of previous discussion
      with Will.

      "A Yored Merkavah may meditate, utter divine names, and have a
      vision of the Chariot, but he is unlikely to connect that vision
      either with the nature of the universe or with the inwardness of his
      prayers."

      IOW, if the goal is the mystical experience alone, a change in sense
      of self might not occur if the "vision" is not connected back to the
      world, oriented to both " `inner' and `outer' elements,"
      considering "the entirety of human life." It seems that both
      Kabbalah and Gnosticism view mystical experience as part of the
      process, not as the only objective.

      Cari