5534Christ Sophia

    Jan 17, 2002
      In Valentinian literature we see Christ and
      Sophia reunited in the bridal chamber. Gnosis, bringing
      reconciliation, reverses ignorance, which brought about
      separation. ( <a href=http://www.cyberus.ca/~brons/sophia_eve.htm target=new>http://www.cyberus.ca/~brons/sophia_eve.htm</a> )
      icons I had run across outside the Gnostic purview or
      perhaps even as a result of Gnostic influences.
      Christ as early as the fourth century. In 325 A.D.
      Constantine erected the basilica, Hagia Sophia, which has
      been restored many times since. The name symbolized
      the second divine attribute of the Holy
      Trinity.<br><br>An example of a Christ Sophia
      �Hagia Hesychia" or �Holy Silence,� and depicting a
      feminine image of Christ, is from the eighteenth
      icon:
      view of many practitioners of western orthodox
      Christianity in not recognizing (or at least refusing to give
      proper acknowledgment and interpretation because of
      patriarchal influence to) ALL the Sophia references prevalent
      throughout their own canon, even identifying Jesus with
      Sophia. (Please see:
      that were also interpreted by Gnostics ~ John, I
      Corinthians.) <br><br>Unfortunately, within some groups the
      pendulum has swung from a general western orthodox
      Christian acceptance of a �male� God to the counteracting,
      opposite extreme of some feminists claiming God is a
      �she.� I�m led to wonder if the mighty pendulum will
      ever settle in a balancing middle ground to allow a
      healing influence of the female principle to balance our
      male-dominated society. This could be difficult as long as many
      orthodox Christians insist on their anthropomorphized God,
      not to mention viewing Jesus as both man and God. An
      androgynous orthodox God? Well, maybe in liberal circles . .
      . ;-)<br><br>Cari