13809Re: The meanining of the Christ?

  • f8s42nutsun
    Apr 3 5:49 PM
      Hello D,

      I'd have to ask you "which Jesus?" Paul's Jesus? The Jesus
      of the author of the prefacing poetry in the Gospel of John?
      The Valentinian Jesus? The Gospel of Thomas's Jesus?
      I.m.o., depending on the source, we are confronted with
      differing essences and missions impinged upon the various
      characterizations or person (maybe both, i.e., 'cause who can
      empirically rule out the existence of a historical Jesus?) of
      Jesus, reflecting different needs (individual and community)
      and struggles of the soul, so to speak.

      As this is a gnostic discussion group (my name is Tom, by the
      way, and it's good to be here, yada yada yada, blah blah blah)
      I'd have to say from my reading that a similar dilemma
      applies to the Nag Hammadi corpus. A "gnostic" Jesus seems
      just as elusive as a NT Jesus. The Jesus of The Dialogue of
      the Savior is exceedingly elitist compared to the Jesus of The
      Gospel of Mary Magdalene. It's uncertain if G of T is even
      gnostic to begin with (even Elaine Pagels has backed off on
      "gnostic" being a legitimate category, preferring for the most
      part to lump one and all in the rather benign category "early
      Christianities," which I find disconcerting, being a big fan of
      her The Gnostic Gospels), but, in answer to your question, it
      does seem to represent and demonstrate "a metaphorical
      representation of the journey" of a rather exclusive, if not
      elite, community of seekers along the lines you seem to
      suggest.

      Let me share something from my "factoids" file.

      Depending on the source there are between 22 and 38
      thousand extant Xian denominations. There are 7957
      verses in most Protestant New Testament translations.
      This equates with, at minimum, 2.6 Xian denominations in
      this world for every one verse of said book. Which is also at
      minimum about 100 new denominations a year since the
      birth of Jesus according to Matthew's reckoning, though to
      accurate, the vast majority of this diversity occurs after the
      Reformation. Obviously that changes the math
      considerably. Where this stacks up with other ancient and
      contemporary religions I haven't a clue, but I suspect Xian
      diversity beats them all. My point being that there was
      something in the nature of Xian dissemination that has
      left it seemingly forever prone to being a religion of
      exceeding plurality in all facets, from founder(s) to
      exegesis.

      Tom U.

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "D." <nazgno@...> wrote:

      > As a student of religous history I have studied many gnostic traditions. I have found a possible meaning of Chrst in ancient Eypgtian theology along with many others. I have one simple question that I would appreciate opinions concnerning.
      > In ancient Egyptan "Christian Mytholgy" it was understood that the myth of Osiris. Isis and Horus was symbolic and metaphoric for the life of each human. That each human had to endure these things to reach enlighgtenment and release from this world. Reference(the writings of The Bet Emet Minisries on line). my question is this. Is it possible that the telling of the Jesus story should be taken as the same thing, a metaphorical representation of the journey of every person? The "story" Jesus being much more a roadmap for success and not as much an historical figure? All serious opinions appreciated.

    • Show all 33 messages in this topic