13758Re: Gnosticism, Masonry,

  • esapress@ymail.com
    Oct 29 7:59 AM
      Tell you what, socially, I sure do agree.

      For example, the last time I was stuck in a one horse town in the middle of no-where I found something really fun to do, namely, I spent my time teaching a mason mathematics, math and astro, really, all kinds of research that I do. It was fun and I think for him, he was so happy to see something new at his age, it was like a breath of fresh air all around.

      He was a Master Mason, a retired surgeon, an art collector with a particular interest in the field of symbolism which was something we quite had in common; man, we had such fun discussing. He'd always say that I had taught him mathematics and that I was his 2nd great teacher which was quite a compliment (especially so considering who his first teacher was) and still is.

      Ultimately, we wrote a little novel of sorts the year I spent there a/b sensibly I squashed it because I don't prefer it and in greater parts it was/is my decision and property. It was just something he wanted me/us to do (like an exercise, perhaps) and I agreed; besides it was a fun way to spend the time while I was in town and it did in fact help sharpen my/his skills (in part his intent I'd guess) even though, ultimately, I still don't/won't have an appreciation or interest in publishing fiction.

      I found out recently that he passed away; probably why this comes up a/o is on my mind of late, I would've liked to have visited a bit more; I was really fond of him.

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Jim osburn <garamanus48@...> wrote:
      > I agree with you Terrie on these points,
      > It is a social organization and sort of fills that role for me. In this neck of the woods most social and religious groups are male dominate.
      > I all so don't like how the male part of the order try to run the subordinate orders, because my personal view is that at best men are equal to women, perhaps even not that, does any one hear "Goddess worship" :) I lean that way a lot.
      > I do not consider masonry as a religion, certainly not mine, and I don't think most masons do either.
      > Please understand I am not trying to defend masonry, just making personal observations with my experiences, also as I mentioned I am only 3rd degree so there is much in the higher degrees I know nothing about. I have read a lot about the history or mythology of masonry's origins and am very interested in the esoteric side. As is well known the "public image" is really down played or white washed and I suspect there is a lot more to it, I just haven't decided yet to invest  the time and money to pursue the higher degrees.
      > Jim
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic