13469Re: Searching for knowledge

  • kari.mudie
    May 3, 2008
      Hi,
      Thanks for the tips, I'm sure they'll prove useful in helping me
      understand.
      The book I'm reading is the "Gnostic Secrets of the Naassenes" written
      by Mark Gaffney.
      To be completely honest, I'm not really sure what intrigues me yet,
      but something keeps me reading. I've read a lot about different types
      of religions lately and certain things disturb me. I find that a lot
      of dominant religions today have a lot of rules and if you follow the
      rules, you'll go to heaven, but if you disobey the rules you won't. I
      mean is this all we really have to learn, how to obey rules? We are
      equipped with minds that can reason and I just think there's got to be
      more to it than simply following rules?
      I learned that many religions have very similar beliefs e.g. creation,
      Jesus etc. but they interpret them differently. I'm stunned because I
      would have thought that they had to be so different considering all
      the trouble going on the world in the name of religion - I just do not
      understand how anyone can go to war in the name of any religion - to
      me that's just nuts!!
      I was also surprised to learn how some dominant religions have
      'interpreted' (I use this term loosely) events to suit their religion
      and teachings, this really disturbs me considering how so many people
      don't question the teachings.
      I don't think faith should be to blindly follow things without
      question, I think that we are equipped with minds to learn so that we
      can try to understand what it's all about, and this is what draws me
      to gnosis.
      Thanks again for the advice, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
      Kari