13451Re: Tri-Part Anthropology

    Apr 4, 2008

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <larockpitts@...> wrote:

      > I am seeking some help with regards to the origin of the three part
      > human being: body - soul - spirit. I know this is a part of historical
      > Gnosticism. If anyone could provide some references as to where this
      > concept originated and where it is discussed in some Gnostic texts (or
      > other texts), I would appreciate it.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Mark

      Hello, Mark.  Well, as background, we certainly see the idea of a tripartite soul in Plato's works,

      http://www.iep.utm.edu/p/plato.htm#SH6d

      and some would attribute the doctrine of tripartite soul to the Pythagoreans.

      http://www.iep.utm.edu/p/pythagor.htm

      For starters, you can scroll down in the following link to Part II about the creation of material humanity in the Tripartite Tractate to read about spiritual, psychic, and material substances:

      http://www.webcom.com/gnosis/naghamm/tripart.htm

      Perhaps you or others have more passages to share about a Gnostic version of tripartite humans.