13424Re: Taxonomy of Gnostic, Proto-Gnostic, Semi-Gnostic, Pseodo-Gnostic etc..

    Mar 16, 2008
      Hey George

      >>>What a great idea ! To develop a taxonomy... naturally
      this is subject to exactly how gnosticism is defined.

      But let's say we get a definition that everyone (or most
      everyone) finds adequate.<<<

      Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I am still trying to work on the other
      taxonomy that Thalprin suggests, as well as the timeline.

      As for the definition of Gnosticism (and in this forum we are
      talking about Gnosticism with a capital "G", not gnosticism with the
      small "g"), we are open to some tweeking and discussion.... but...
      the fact that we will attempt to maintain the more
      academic/historical definition as the base is frankly not open to
      debate.

      Think of it another way; if "everyone" (in other forums)
      believed "existentialism" was about any beliefs
      concerning "existance", but there was one last forum dealing only
      with "Existentialism" (the philosophical school)... why should that
      Existentialist forum bow to "everybody" and try to redefine itself
      to talk about the "existentialism" of common understanding? Doesn't
      the Existentialist forum have a right to maintain its study of
      Existentialism with a capitol "E"?

      Public opinion has a place, but this forum is the final refuge for
      those who prefer disambiguation in their study of classical
      Gnosticism.