13412Re: Taxonomy of Gnostic, Proto-Gnostic, Semi-Gnostic, Pseodo-Gnostic etc..

    Feb 13, 2008
      Hey Thalprin

      Ok, I finally got the categorical graph done. It is in the "Files"
      section of our home page.

      I was trying to play with some family tree programs and some better
      graphics programs, but in the end I realized that if I was ever
      going to get it done I needed to keep it simple. Even though I call
      this a "family tree", it is meant to show categorical relations
      rather than cause and effect. For instance, obviously Sethianism and
      Valentinianism are FORMS of Gnosticism, rather than something that
      grew out of Gnosticism. On the other hand, Kabbalah likely actually
      grew out of Merkabah.

      I should point out that some scholars (like Birger Pearson) believe
      that Hermetism actually does contain Biblical elements. If this is
      true, the chart would need to be adjusted accordingly.

      Anyone have thoughts, questions, points, etc?

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@...> wrote:
      > Sounds good PMCV and thanks, this taxonomy could be very
      interesting I
      > think - I'll look forward to seeing it. If any suggestions come
      > mind I'll certainly pass them along.
      > Thalprin
      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey Thalprin

      > > Perhaps would you include such as time line a/o location?<<<
      > >
      > > I actually tried to create a timeline some years back, but I ran
      > > some problems (partly basic computer problems). In any event, I
      > > these charts would have to be unconnected. A timeline would not
      > follow
      > > a taxonomy in this case. I'll play with some programs and see
      how I
      > > may best present this kind of chart on this forum. Any
      > > would be helpful.
      > >
      > > PMCV

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic