13404Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Valentinus & the Valentinians this Week on CCG!!!

  • Miguel Conner
    Jan 20, 2008
      Hi Mark,

      You might be right.  We don't hear about this story until after 200 from Tertullian.  The post he ran for was Bishop of Rome, that is still one of the titles for the Pope.  Yet there were hundreds of Christianities at the time, the Roman Church just being a small section.

      Maybe not a true anachronism but certainly possible to be mere legendry.

      Miguel

      Mark <larockpitts@...> wrote:
      Miguel,

      I may be mistaken, but isn't it a bit anachronistic to say that
      Valentinus almost became "Pope." At the time of Valentinus, he would
      have almost become simply "the Bishop of Rome," which was one
      bishopric among others. Using the word "Pope" sounds a little
      sensationalistic, unless your program has a Catholic slant, instead
      of an historical one.

      Again, I may be mistaken. Perhaps others can correct me.

      Mark

      --- In gnosticism2@ yahoogroups. com, "miguelconner" <miguelconner@ ...>
      wrote:

      > Valentinus & The Valentinians. Besides being a poetic genius and an
      > ethereal philosopher, Valentinus was the Gnostic who allegedly
      almost
      > became Pope and might have changed the course of the Church in
      > history. He and his followers created some of the most beautiful,
      > unifying theology of early Christianity, including the concept of
      the
      > Trinity, a redeemed Demiurge, and a positive view of the cosmos. We
      > evoke their amazing contribution to Christian thought before they
      were
      > crushed under the fury of Orthodoxy in the Fourth Century.
      >
      > Astral Guest— Einar Thomassen, author of `The Spiritual Seed: The
      > Church of the Valentinians' and one of the original translators of
      the
      > Nag Hammadi Library.
      >
      > Topics Discussed:
      >
      > --Separating the legend from the history of Valentinus of
      Alexandria.
      > --Understanding the softer, poetic and yet astral Gnosticism of the
      > Valentinians (and the different schools within this Gnostic sect).
      > --Evidence stating that Valentinus received his theology from the
      > Syrian Christian viewpoint and not Alexandria.
      > --Finally understanding what exactly was the Sacrament of the Bridal
      > Chamber.
      > --Why did Valentinus consider the Apostle Paul the Elvis of the
      > ancient times?
      > --Like most Gnostic Schools, how not everyone receives salvation
      and why.
      > --Why faith was as important as gnosis to the Valentinians.
      > --How Valentinus saw the death and resurrection of the Christ.
      >
      > And much more!
      >
      > As always to access the program:
      >
      > --Go to my homepage http://www.thegodab ovegod.com/
      > --Scroll down until you see the Stickam screen (the eye with the
      > bloody tear)
      > --Click the music icon and voila…'Coffee, Cigarettes & Gnosis 80—
      The
      > Mandaeans, the Last Gnostics' will appear in its entirety!
      >
      > There are over eighty shows for download at our homepage on all
      things
      > Gnostic and its brethren in the Esoterica. We have some of the
      > leading scholars and Gnostic sages of our days including Stephan
      > Hoeller, Timothy Freke, John Turner, Marvin Meyer, Margaret
      Starbird,

      Visit http://thegodabovegod.com/ and become part of the new Renaissance of Gnosticism and Truthseeking.