13307Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Faith vs Experience

  • souldreamone@AOL.com
    Jan 4, 2008
      Yes, I agree with your assessment, though there is a "point" for me that has to do with an inward looking. It is pointless to point to something that the listener doesn't already know as long as there is the insistence that this knowing arrives in a conceptual form, and so there is no attention turned within. That was the point of the comment that Truth is not conceptual.
      It's interesting that you say we're not here to talk about our perception of Truth but rather to talk about Gnosticism. That may be so, but I can't help picturing a group of Gnostics sitting around discussing Gnosticism instead of Truth. In the context of that which is pointless, this would seem to be the poster boy.

      Phil

      In a message dated 1/4/2008 4:28:52 PM Pacific Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
      Hey Phil

      >>>You're right, it's a pretty strong statement that Truth is not
      about conceptual knowledge, and so what conceptual knowledge could I
      offer you to proove the truth of that statement?<<<

      Not to speak for her, but I believe the point of her question may
      have been to demonstrate how you see this being related to the
      traditional concepts this forum explores. Truth may not be about
      conceptual knowledge (though not all people may agree with that),
      but communication IS about conceptual knowledge. Since you just
      pointed out that from a conceptual stance the validity of
      this "Truth" can only be pointed out via a circular axiom, I guess
      it would be fair to say that the only way to validate or invalidate
      it would be to experience it. What, then, would be the point of
      talking about it? Either you are talking to people who know it and
      there is no point, or you are talking to people don't know it about
      something that can't be communicated... so there is still no point.

      This forum is not really here to tell people what is "Truth", since
      that would be quite a presumption. We'll let everyone here figure
      that out for themselves. Instead we are talking about Gnosticism,
      which may or may not be true or have some understanding of "Truth".

      I understand, though, that perhaps Cari's point may have been
      difficult to answer in light of your following statement;

      >>>I'm not familiar with "historical gnosticism".<<<

      Let me take a moment to explain. The term "Gnosticism" is one
      invented by modern historians to categorize a number of ancient
      religious sects that had certain core attributes in common.

      Since you seemed to imply that Gnostic belief reflected this notion
      of "Truth" that you mentioned, Lady Cari's question that you
      demonstrate this belief within the Gnostic texts was logical and
      valid. It doesn't matter if the Truth itself cannot be conceptually
      demonstrated, the reflection of a belief in that Truth can (if it is
      there). If Gnosis (as related by the Gnostics) is the same is your
      term "knowingness", then that similarity should be something we can
      communicate.