13067Re: Classifications among the Valentinians

  • Mark
    Jun 28, 2007

      > I was under the impression that most hospitals ask if one has a
      > religious preference in order to better facilitate "spiritual"
      > care from pastors, etc. This past year I was in a surgical lounge of
      > metropolitan hospital with a relative who was awaiting surgery.
      > I've never experienced this before, but a pastor moved around the
      > room talking with individual groups of people, asking if people wanted
      > to pray with him. He was offering a Christian prayer. I'm sure
      > many of the Christians would find this appropriate; however, the
      pastor
      > initially wouldn't have known whether they were Jews, Muslims,
      > Buddhists, atheists, etc. unless they spoke up. One might even run
      into
      > a Mandaean. ;-)

      Concerning this pastor and his actions: as the hospital staff chaplain
      I would ask him to leave and not come back and call security if needed
      (as I have done before if I find a pastor visiting people who are not
      of their faith tradition and invited). This kind of "pastoral care" is
      inappropriate in a multi-cultural, multi-faith setting such as most
      healthcare institutions today. Board certified chaplains today are
      trained to work with a variety of faiths or no faith in the provision
      of spiritual care. You may read an article I wrote on this topic at
      http://www.hds.harvard.edu/news/bulletin/articles/larocca-pitts.html.

      I generally find my work more satisfying the less traditional a
      person's spiritual path is. I am a seeker who has found a path that
      feeds my soul and enjoy traveling with others on other paths that feed
      them. Within Valentinus and Sethian traditions I have found much that
      speaks to me and that is currently informing my path.

      I will check out your link on angels. Thanks!

      Mark
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic