13063Re: Classifications among the Valentinians

    Jun 28, 2007

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <larockpitts@...> wrote:

      > Cari,
      >
      > Thanks for this link. I will have to spend some time with it. I did
      > notice one thing that provided a fuller context for what is found in
      > some teachings, such as the Golden Dawn and especially Thelema, about
      > what is often called one's "Higher Guardian Angel" or HGA. This is
      > where the article states, "In order to become identified with the
      > spiritual element, the person must attain a state of mystical
      > knowledge (gnosis) of God. The person directly experiences the
      > presence of the risen Christ in the form of his or her personal
      > angel." This interpretation of this experience resonates better with
      > me.

      Ah, and here is more about angels:

      http://www.gnosis.org/library/valentinus/Joined_Angel.htm

      > As for the context of "spiritual care," I work as a healthcare
      > chaplain and in this profession in our literature we often wrestle
      > with what adjective to use to describe our work: spiritual and/or
      > pastoral. In short, I personally prefer "spiritual," since the care
      > I provide is based primarily on my response to the other person's
      > expressed spirituality as opposed to flowing from own authority as an
      > ordained pastor within a faith community. The problem, however, is
      > that everybody uses "spiritual" and "spirituality," but no body
      > really knows what it is. So as I read various things related to my
      > own spiritual path, I always look for insights that may help develop
      > a better tool for providing spiritual assessments within a clinical
      > setting, which normally should begin with a good definition of
      > terms. Most people who write on this topic pass over this problem of
      > defintion and go straight to discussing assessment tools. I am tired
      > of that.
      >
      > Maybe that was more than you were asking regarding context.
      >
      > Mark

      Mark, not at all.  Thank you for sharing this.  Defining "spiritual" or "spirituality" does seem like a daunting task when considering all the individual, not only sectarian, ideas on this subject.  After all, someone's definition for "spiritual" might be another's definition for "psychic."  :-)  I do applaud you, though, Mark, for considering the individual's expression on the subject.

      I was under the impression that most hospitals ask if one has a religious preference in order to better facilitate "spiritual" care from pastors, etc.  This past year I was in a surgical lounge of a metropolitan hospital with a relative who was awaiting surgery.  I've never experienced this before, but a pastor moved around the room talking with individual groups of people, asking if people wanted to pray with him.  He was offering a Christian prayer.  I'm sure many of the Christians would find this appropriate; however, the pastor initially wouldn't have known whether they were Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, etc. unless they spoke up.  One might even run into a Mandaean.  ;-)

      At least general definitions of terms to suit broad categories of religions might be a starting point or backdrop before assessing more individual expression if the one administering care deals with people from a variety of spiritual backgrounds.