13059Re: Classifications among the Valentinians

  • Mark
    Jun 27, 2007
      Cari,

      Thanks for this link. I will have to spend some time with it. I did
      notice one thing that provided a fuller context for what is found in
      some teachings, such as the Golden Dawn and especially Thelema, about
      what is often called one's "Higher Guardian Angel" or HGA. This is
      where the article states, "In order to become identified with the
      spiritual element, the person must attain a state of mystical
      knowledge (gnosis) of God. The person directly experiences the
      presence of the risen Christ in the form of his or her personal
      angel." This interpretation of this experience resonates better with
      me.

      As for the context of "spiritual care," I work as a healthcare
      chaplain and in this profession in our literature we often wrestle
      with what adjective to use to describe our work: spiritual and/or
      pastoral. In short, I personally prefer "spiritual," since the care
      I provide is based primarily on my response to the other person's
      expressed spirituality as opposed to flowing from own authority as an
      ordained pastor within a faith community. The problem, however, is
      that everybody uses "spiritual" and "spirituality," but no body
      really knows what it is. So as I read various things related to my
      own spiritual path, I always look for insights that may help develop
      a better tool for providing spiritual assessments within a clinical
      setting, which normally should begin with a good definition of
      terms. Most people who write on this topic pass over this problem of
      defintion and go straight to discussing assessment tools. I am tired
      of that.

      Maybe that was more than you were asking regarding context.

      Mark

      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <larockpitts@> wrote:
      > >
      > > According to Marvin Meyer (The Gnostic Discoveries, p. 117), the
      > > Valentinians divide humankind into three groups: "the people of
      the
      > > spirit" (pneumatikoi), "the people with a soul" (psychikoi),
      > and "the
      > > people of the flesh" (sarkikoi). Does this mean that for one to
      > move
      > > from sarkikoi (unbelievers) to psychikoi (ordinary Christians)
      and
      > then
      > > to pneumatikoi (spiritual Christians) that one successively ADDS
      > the
      > > flesh first soul and then spirit, or does one progressively
      AWAKEN