13048Re: Mysticism a Regressional Experience?

  • gnostic_ken
    Apr 8, 2007

      > DharmaGnosis is a group run by Tom Ragland. The subject matter as
      > understand it is a sort of Jungian conjuction between Kabbalah,
      > Eastern mysticism (especially Buddhism), and a notion of gnosis as
      > sort of general mystical realization. Though it does not seem to
      be
      > the focus, the forum has not discouraged critical discussion when
      > the subject has come up.

      Hi PMCV,
      Tom is also a moderator of GnosticThought.

      > Gnostic_Cafe is run by Ms Jenny (aka Vee). The subject matter is a
      > wider and looser grouping of modern spiritual mystical thinking in
      > very informal setting (as I guess the word "Cafe" in the title
      would
      > suggest).

      Jenny is Jungian Gnostic. She has disappeared as she does from time
      to time. The last time she disappeared she deleted her Jung cafe
      group. This time she left her cafe running on automatic.

      > GnosticThought is run by GnosticKen (aka George). It deals with
      what
      > Ken has termed "New Age" Gnostic thinking (which I think may be
      > similar to what I would call "eclectic relativism", but I could be
      > wrong and I don't intend to put words in Ken's mouth), and allows
      > for some exploration of a number of systems from personal
      > perspectives.

      GnosticThought is only "New Age" in the same sense this group
      is "New Age." That is we are not traditional Christian
      as "Christian" has been defined for the past 1600 or so years. We
      are part of the new age of openness, diversity and tolerance. When I
      said "we are all of the new age" I was including you ;-)

      GnosticThought could be defined as having the exact opposite focus
      of this group. While this group is about historical gnosticism and
      modern personal experiences are not off topic so long as they are
      related to historical gnosticism in some way, GnosticThought is
      about modern personal Gnosis and related mystic experiences with
      some historical discussion hopefully relating to modern personal
      experiences.

      I don't remember ever saying GnosticThought is "New Age" because
      spelling it with capital letters usually refers to the loose
      movement personified by Shirley MacLaine. The only Gnostic movement
      I know of that would fit that definition of New Age would be Sylvia
      Browne's Gnostics. While Sylvia Browne Gnostics are welcome on
      GnosticThought they are generally not real comfortable with the
      range of viewpoints there. They generally want to talk about
      Sylvia's personal mythology and most of us relate more to historical
      Gnostic mythology than to Sylvia's mythology. Several, such as Tom
      and Steve, seem to relate most to Buddhism.

      Ken
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic