13031Re: Mysticism a Regressional Experience?

    Apr 1, 2007
      Thomas

      >>>My take is that the Garden was a mystical experience that many
      people of different religious experiences experience. In a book by a
      Transpersonal writer Ken Wilber, he more or less dissess Eden as a
      pre-egoistic state where the differentiation between the self and the
      outside worn't exist.

      I disagree with that. In my opinion, the eating of the Tree of
      Knowledge of Good and Evil was a divorcing of the counscious human
      being from the mystical sense of oneness that existed before. This
      was the "Fall" into matter.

      Thge author makes regression seem to be inicimal to spiritual
      progress. I belkeive that is a false dychotomy. My own perspective is
      that it IS a form of Gnosis, I call Agnosis, or intuitive knowledge
      without the framework of conceptual thought.<<<

      I was not sure whether you mean to say you disagree with Ken Wilbur,
      or to say that you disagree with the Gnostic text... or maybe both.
      Your view does seem to echo a relatively common percpetion of Eden
      in Christian and Jewish mystical thought. Perhaps you could take a
      moment to explain how you feel that relates to Gnostic thought on
      the subject.

      >>>So do you think that some mystical experiences are regressive in
      nature?<<<

      Personally, I tend to avoid valuating mystical experience in this
      forum since my job here is to try and be a bit more objective.
      However, perhaps others here have something to say on the subject. I
      get the impression that more than really talking about the function
      of mystical experience, you may be talking about how you feel that
      experience relates to a specific set of symbols... i.e. the Eden
      story of Genesis. While there is no doubt that the Gnostic
      understood this story differently, I think it is important that we
      understand this particular story within the larger context of the
      Gnostic world view and spiritual view before assuming the function
      of the story in their usage even relates to what you are talking
      about. Otherwise it is comparing apples and oranges.