13020Re: Rex Mundi film,

  • thalprin
    Mar 3, 2007
      I think things go/can go odd in acheology sometimes. Sometimes, it
      simply takes time to sort things out. For example (an example which
      I think is kinda funny,) I was watching as show few days/weeks back
      on Tut, and folks were discussing this mural of him with a deformed
      leg. Basically, they were staring at this mural and yet wondering
      why he had 100+ walking sticks burried with him in his tomb. ?
      Then, as the program went on, essentially trying to riddle his cause
      of death, they discovered his broken/missing kneecap and wondered ifn
      that might've been what killed him. In time, I imagine they'll sort
      things out to speculate that Tut might've had a knee injury that
      didn't kill him but left him lame. Still, as yet, I don't think I've
      heard they have.

      Terrie

      > Well for once I agree completely with Robert Eisenman.
      >
      > lady_caritas wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > I think part of the issue in here may be that right now there
      is a
      > > > movement in popular culture to place a "Gnostic" tag on things
      that
      > > > question the "orthodox" church. On top of that, though you are
      right
      > > > that some of the movies that are out now are getting people to
      think,
      > > > some (like the Da Vinci Code) are actually spreading false and
      > > > harmful info about Gnosticism. Because this forum tries
      particularly
      > > > hard to keep the info about Gnosticism as technically accurate
      as we
      > > > can, some of us may sometimes find ourselves combating the
      movie,
      > > > book, poem, music, etc., in question (even if we may like them
      > > > personally).
      > > >
      > > > Imagine the number of people who initially joined this forum
      because
      > > > they thought Gnostics believed that Jesus had children.
      > > >
      > > > PMCV
      > > >

      > > There seems to be a pervasive need in popular culture to commonly
      > > think in terms of historical figures when it comes to religious
      > > matters. And mostly I shrug my shoulders, except in some cases
      where
      > > misinformation is blatantly tagged to scholarship.
      > >
      > > From an article today in /The New York Times/:
      > >
      > > /Early Christian Gospels suggesting that Mary Magdalene was
      the
      > > wife of Jesus and a respected apostle in her own right, not a
      > > fallen woman, are the foundation of Gnostic studies by
      scholars
      > > like Elaine Pagels — as well as of the plot of the Dan Brown

      <http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/dan_brow
      n/index.html?inline=nyt-per>
      > > best seller "The Da Vinci Code."/
      > >
      > > ("Leaning on Theory, Colliding With Faith" by Alessandra
      Stanley)

      > > *http://tinyurl.com/2sv7v5*

      [http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/03/arts/television/03stan.html?
      ex=1173589200&en=98bf67e7c2efc9ed&ei=5070&emc=eta1

      <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/03/arts/television/03stan.html?
      ex=1173589200&en=98bf67e7c2efc9ed&ei=5070&emc=eta1>]

      > > I wonder how Elaine Pagels would /really/ describe what she
      considers
      > > the "foundation," the FOUNDATION (yikes), of Gnostic studies and
      how
      > > she feels about being lumped in the same sentence with Dan Brown.
      > >
      > > Robert Eisenman presents a scathing contrast:
      > >
      > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20070228/cm_huffpost/042235
      > >
      > > Cari
      > >
      > Excellent article.
      >
      > --