13003Re: Jewish Gnostics

    Feb 22, 2007
      Hey Ken

      If I recall correctly, that would be Birger Pearson in his
      book "Gnosticism, Judaism, and Egyptian Christianity". His outline
      is similar to that of Turner in that he presents a preChristian
      Sethianism that would have to come from the first or second century
      (since that is the only way it could be "pre Christian" I guess
      *lol*). Of course, most scholars feel that is too early. However, I
      think that Petrement's date that seems to influence scholars like
      Davies simply doesn't work either, and is far too late (not to
      mention the fact that it is presented for the wrong reasons).

      Without speculating on the real date of Gnostic origins, if we do
      accept a relationship between Philo and Gnostic thinking then at the
      very least we can prove Jewish Platonism as early as the first
      century.

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "gnostic_ken" <gnostic_ken@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > again). The earliest date I have ever seen any scholar date
      > > Gnosticism is in the second century B.C.E..
      > >
      > > PMCV
      >
      > Hi PMCV,
      > That is interesting. Much earlier than anything I have ever found.
      You
      > don't happen to have a reference for that do you? I would like to
      look
      > it up.
      >
      > Ken

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic