12995Re: The Old & New Inquisition against the Gnostics this Sun on CCG!!!

    Feb 20, 2007
      BTW Lady Cari, when you talked about Couliano being mentioned in the
      interview I meant to post this as the probable quote...

      "Once I believed that Gnosticism was a well-defined phenomenon
      belonging to the religious history of Late Antiquity. Of course, I
      was ready to accept the idea of different prolongations of ancient
      Gnosis, and even that of spontaneous generation of views of the
      world in which, at different times, the distinctive features of
      Gnosticism occur again.

      I was soon to learn however, that I was a naïf indeed. Not only
      Gnosis was gnostic, but the Catholic authors were gnostic, the
      Neoplatonic too, Reformation was gnostic, Communism was gnostic,
      Nazism was gnostic, liberalism, existentialism and psychoanalysis
      were gnostic too, modern biology was gnostic, Blake, Yeats, Kafka
      were gnostic…. I learned further that science is gnostic and
      superstition is gnostic…Hegel is gnostic and Marx is gnostic; all
      things and their opposite are equally gnostic."

      The funny part is, I have had people actually use this quote to
      counter something I have said thinking that Couliano was being
      serious. They thought he was advocating an uncritical usage
      of "Gnosticism" and saying it really WAS all these things. I would
      like to dream that people don't abuse our words this way... but...
      *sigh*.