12979Re: The Old & New Inquisition against the Gnostics this Sun on CCG!!!

    Feb 19, 2007
      Hey Lady Cari

      >>>PMCV, I think you have hit on a major reason why what eventually
      developed into mainstream, exoteric Christian orthodoxy was used as a
      weapon instead of more otherworldly, abstruse systems...<snip>....
      It's very possible that not only the exoteric church and its
      polemics, but also its emphasis on Biblical religious figures as
      historical figures would more readily relate to mainstream groups
      and the worldly political arena than an otherworldly, metaphorical
      and mythological approach. Worldly political powers targeted
      heretics as enemies by which to define their ideologies.<<<

      Exactly. The literalism and simple pistic soteriology is a double
      whammy in that it is easy to understand, but also plays well into
      political agendas since it lends itself readily to a sort of civil

      The perfect tool for the power hungry.

      >>>Regarding the term "gnostic," Dr. Versluis also noted how
      gradually the expression no longer always had historical meaning,
      and often became synonymous with "People that I don't like." The
      professor also mentioned Couliano's essay from the 1980s in which he
      made fun of everything being "gnostic" nowadays. "Gnostic" often
      became pejorative, where things were seen to be diminished if this
      word were used. He sees that as a throwback to ancient antiheresy

      It is always nice to hear somebody else point this out besides us,
      eh? *lol*

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic