12951Re: Gnostic Texts in the Oxyrhynchus Papyri

    Feb 1, 2007
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "smithand44" <smithand44@...>
      > I had been claiming that there were no Gnostic writings found in the
      > Oxyrhynchus papyri, apart from the Gospel of Thomas fragments, which
      > are arguably Gnostic, but then I decided to check. To my surprise I
      > came up with the following, some of which are debatably Gnostic.
      > Oxford University Oxyrhynchus Online site has photographs of most of
      > the fragments and transcriptions and translations of many.)

      Here's a Table of Contents for The Oxyrhynchus Papyri online, for
      anyone interested:

      > P.Oxy 2074
      > A.S. hunt thought that this was a fifth century "Apostrophe to
      > by Melito of Sardes. But David Brons claimed it as "A Hymn to
      > an anonymous Valentinian writing, although I don't know what the
      > grounds were for this. See
      > http://www.gnosis.org/library/valentinus/Valentinian_Writings.htm
      > Also, according to an indexed Google extract from a subscription
      > article, there are "striking similarities between Melito and a
      > text preserved in a fifth century papyrus from Oxyrhynchus (P. Oxy.
      > "The Homily on the Passion" by Melito Bishop of Sardis and Some
      > Fragments of the Apocryphal Ezekiel by Campbell Bonner, Journal of
      > Biblical Literature, Vol. 60, No. 1 (Mar., 1941), pp. 81-88
      > Does anyone know anything further about P.Oxy 2074?
      > Best Wishes
      > Andrew

      Hi, Andrew. What an assignment. *lol*

      I'm curious. Did Arthur Hunt list his grounds for proposing Melito
      as author?

      "Apostrophe" could be a direct address to a personified abstraction,
      and this address could very well be in the form of a hymn. "Wisdom,"
      of course, could be "Sophia."

      As far as original authorship, I don't have enough information under
      my belt to even suggest whether this might be Melito or some unknown
      Valentinian. Also, by the fifth century there possibly could have
      been revisions from the original. Did you find any translations
      readily available?

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic