12949Gnostic Texts in the Oxyrhynchus Papyri

  • smithand44
    Jan 30, 2007
      I had been claiming that there were no Gnostic writings found in the
      Oxyrhynchus papyri, apart from the Gospel of Thomas fragments, which
      are arguably Gnostic, but then I decided to check. To my surprise I
      came up with the following, some of which are debatably Gnostic. (The
      Oxford University Oxyrhynchus Online site has photographs of most of
      the fragments and transcriptions and translations of many.)

      pOxy 1, 654, 655
      These are the Greek Gospel of Thomas fragments

      P.Oxy.L 3525
      Gospel of Mary

      P.Oxy 924
      P.Oxy.XVI 2061
      P.Oxy.XVI 2063
      P.Oxy.XVI 2062
      The above are "Gnostic Charms"

      P.Oxy 1060
      Gnostic Amulet

      These magical charms and amulet are sometimes considered Gnostic by
      virtue of the gods mentioned in the texts.

      P.Oxy 2074
      A.S. hunt thought that this was a fifth century "Apostrophe to Wisdom"
      by Melito of Sardes. But David Brons claimed it as "A Hymn to Sophia",
      an anonymous Valentinian writing, although I don't know what the
      grounds were for this. See
      http://www.gnosis.org/library/valentinus/Valentinian_Writings.htm
      Also, according to an indexed Google extract from a subscription only
      article, there are "striking similarities between Melito and a corrupt
      text preserved in a fifth century papyrus from Oxyrhynchus (P. Oxy. 2074)"

      "The Homily on the Passion" by Melito Bishop of Sardis and Some
      Fragments of the Apocryphal Ezekiel by Campbell Bonner, Journal of
      Biblical Literature, Vol. 60, No. 1 (Mar., 1941), pp. 81-88

      Does anyone know anything further about P.Oxy 2074?

      Best Wishes

      Andrew
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic