12914Re: Is the Gospel of Thomas Gnostic?

  • smithand44
    Jan 13, 2007
      My apologies to everyone for starting this topic and then letting it
      drop.

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "spcdbrs" <space.debris@...> wrote:

      > I think the question can be controversial because answers depend on
      how one defines
      > "Gnostic." Some scholars now consider GoT to be non-Gnostic because
      of the fact that it
      > doesn't get into the emanation of the Aeons, the Sophia myth, or
      other distinctive features
      > of Sethian and Valentinian thought.

      Yes, that's a good indication of it not belonging to a developed
      Gnostic system. (If it is Gnostic, it's closer to Valentinian thought
      than Sethian surely.) The Gospel of Truth is relatively free of
      Gnostic jargon, but it does have a few explicit references to the
      pleroma and aeons,as does the Gospel of Philip.. I'm not much in
      sympathy with scholars like Ehrman who read Thomas with a Gnostic
      context but don't address Thomas' lack of specifically Gnostic
      terminology.

      > Even so, the Gospel of Thomas has important points in common with
      Sethian and
      > Valentinian views, particularly on the issue of soteriology -- for
      the GoT, salvation
      > ultimately depends on a profound understanding of spiritual matters
      (including, among
      > others, cosmological issues on which Gnostics would agree, e.g.
      logion 56), rather than on
      > faith, ritual, or good works. It also stands close to Gnosticism in
      its generally ascetic tone.

      Gnostics weren't the only ascetics, for instance, Richard Valantasis
      interprets Thomas in terms of Syrian asceticism. On the other hand,
      parts of Thomas are anti-ascetic, e.g. 14, "If you fast you will bring
      sin on yourselves..."

      > Therefore, it is a text that readily lends itself to interpretation
      from a Sethian or
      > Valentinian viewpoint, and thus I think it is not surprising to find
      Thomas sandwiched
      > between Sethian and Valentinian texts (Apocryphon of John and Gospel
      of Philip) in Nag
      > Hammadi Codex II.

      The Sentences of Sextus and The Teachings of Silvanus are also in the
      NHL but neither are Gnostic.

      Andrew
    • Show all 40 messages in this topic