12807Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Mani & The Manicheans this Sunday on Coffee, Cigs & Gnosis!!!

  • Miguel Conner
    Oct 27, 2006
      Really?  I would say that 70% of the promo was taken directly from the interview.  He did say that new evidence in Egypt is changing many scholar's views on Manichaeism.

      Hope you catch it.  BeDuhn was a great interviewee.

      Miguel

      Because Dr BeDuhn was actually one of my big teachers on the
      historical front I am actually interested to hear this interview...
      and also what impression he makes on others here. Any report
      volunteers? Much of what he teaches directly is actually in
      opposition to the stance presented in the brief outline of this
      interview. Very curious!

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@ yahoogroups. com, "miguelconner"
      <miguelconner@ ...> wrote:

      > It's M-M-M-Mani and the Manicheans (played to Elton John's `Benny &
      > The Jets')
      >
      > Manichaeism was the only global Gnostic religion ever, extending
      from
      > the Atlantic Ocean to central and southern Asia. Persian,
      Mongolian
      > and Chinese kings even made it a state religion (one claimed Mani
      was
      > the avatar of Lao-Tze). It lasted for a thousand years and
      survived
      > until the 15th century, yet it is perhaps the least known variety
      of
      > Gnosticism today. Manichaeism was also the biggest threat to the
      > Catholic Church in its early history, as well as a competitor to
      > several Eastern faiths in Asia. But the guys with swords tend to
      > always win over the pacifists. We revisit the origins, history,
      and
      > theology of this most unusual catholic Gnosticism.
      >
      > Jason BeDuhn, author of `The Manichaean Body: In Discipline and
      > Ritual' & Associate Professor of Religious Studies
      > Department of Humanities, Arts, and Religion
      > Northern Arizona University joins `Coffee, Cigarettes & Gnosis'
      this
      > Sunday, October 29, at 3 PM PST/5 PM CST/6 PM EST at
      > Freethoughtmedia. com. Just click the `ON AIR' button under the
      banner.

      > Topics Discussed:
      >
      > --The extraordinary life of the Prophet Mani, including his passion
      > and execution because of an orthodox priesthood (does the story
      ever
      > change?)
      > --The cosmology, tenets and rituals of Manichaeism, as well as how
      it
      > was able to compete with so many different religions across the
      world.
      > --How the Roman Catholic Church not only exterminated Manichaeism
      but
      > also co-opted several of its traditions (confession, priesthood
      > celibacy, and more).
      > --Saint Augustine, the ex-Manichean, and his ability to interbreed
      > Christian and Manichean theology that changed the Church forever.
      > --Evidence that it was perhaps the Manicheans who absorbed the
      classic
      > Gnostics and not the persecution of the early Church.
      > --The reasons why there is so little known of Mani and his
      religion in
      > these modern times.
      > --Dispelling the fable that Manicheans (like all other Gnostics)
      were

      Visit http://thegodabovegod.com/ and become part of the new Renaissance of Gnosticism and Truthseeking.