12741Re: Some more Essene Research FYI

    Sep 1, 2006
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "imdarkchylde" <imdarkchylde@...>
      > Wingwhispers, Cari!
      > You are right, of course, and I still am learning to defend myself
      > without giving like for like. Thank you for your patience and for
      > the patience of all that are following this.
      > I think the conception is probably based on lumping the Nag Hammadi
      > and the Dead Sea Scrolls together, and that would be how that came
      > about. I was researching Essene material on my Christian Druid
      > group, and I ran across it. It is an older posting, and has to do
      > with Native American Earth healing. I can post the entire posting
      > you like, but here is a copy of the text that caught my eye.
      > **....properties attract, like magnetism; "male" energies direct.
      > When both are in balance, you have as Jesus said the Secret Gospel
      > John (an Essene text): All is motion and rest. Or, yin and yang.
      > want to be in the center of that, in balance...**
      > From the Healing the Earth/Ourselves Newsletter of April 2006 and
      > here is the http to the group http://www.blueskywaters.com Would
      > you like me to post the entire newsletter?
      > Anyhow, I don't remember that quote "All is motion and rest," in
      > Apoc. of John, perhaps it is not a direct quote but a paraphrase.
      > Could it be that there is another 'Secret' Gospel of John that they
      > could be refering to? (Other than the Apoc. of John, which I have
      > seen commonly refered to as the Secret Book or Gospel of John.)
      > Love and inner peas,
      > DarkChylde

      You know, Darkchylde, I generally hear this work in question referred
      to as the Apocryphon of John or The Secret Book According to John or
      The Secret Revelation of John, but not The Secret Gospel of John.
      That said, mention of "gospel" reminded me that The Gospel of Thomas
      is sometimes referred to as The Secret Gospel of Thomas. I don't
      want to make any presumptions here as to which work this person was
      referring to, but it is noteworthy that in Logion 50 (GTh) Jesus
      said, "... If they ask you, `What is the sign of your father within
      you?' say to them, `It is movement and repose.'"

      In any case, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions that either work is
      necessarily Essene in origin. Most scholars I've read indicate the
      Apocryphon of John to be of the Sethian Gnostic genre, as PMCV

      Certainly, many modern groups, including those calling
      themselves "Essene," might feel an affinity to various ancient texts
      and include them in their practice.

      As an example of a more New Age approach, the webpage you offered
      appears to take an eclectic stance, incorporating the value of
      various teachings, such as Native American, along with Buddhism,
      Japanese Reiki. IOW, such a combination is anyone's prerogative, but
      also would not intend to lay claim to being a modern representation
      of purely historical Native American origins, which would not have
      included Reiki, for instance. In this light, in addition to our
      confusion as to what text is really being referred to, it's also not
      clear to me whether the person quoted intended the word "Essene" to
      signify a text written by ancient Essenes or one perhaps *used* by
      modern "Essene" groups.

    • Show all 37 messages in this topic