12740Re: Some more Essene Research FYI

  • imdarkchylde
    Aug 31, 2006
      Blessings, and wingwhispers!!
      Hmm. Sethians. Never thought of that. Opens up a new avenue of
      research, too. Thanx!
      Actually found what seems to be a fairly credible source for
      Essene 'beliefs' and I thought youu might notice that while many of
      them take an opposing stance than that of the gnostics there are many
      similar stances on some issues as that of the ancient gnostics. I
      have also learned theirs was an oral tradition as well, for the
      better part. Secret knowledge was a preoccupation with the Essenes.
      Here is what I copied:

      List of Essene and Christian Parallels and Commonalties

      1. The Essenes believed and taught it was their first duty to seek
      the kingdom of God and his righteousness (Philo).
      Seek first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all else
      shall be added (Mt 6:33; Luke 12:31).

      2. They abjured all amusements, all elegances, and all pleasures of
      the senses (Philo).
      Forsake the world and the things thereof.

      3. They lay up nothing on earth, but fix their minds solely on heaven
      (the kingdom of God).
      Lay not up treasures on earth. (Mt 6:19)

      4. They, having laid aside all the anxieties of life and leaving
      society, make their residence in solitary wilds and in gardens
      (Philo).
      They wander in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens, and in caves
      of the earth (Heb 11:38).

      5. They neither buy nor sell among themselves, but give of what they
      have to him that wanteth (Josephus).
      And parted them (their goods) to all men as every man had need (Acts
      2:45).

      6. They utilized baptism, not animal sacrifice, as a mode of
      repentance for the remission of sins.
      And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism
      of repentance for the remission of sins; (Luke 3:3)

      7. They forsook father, mother, brothers and sisters, houses and
      lands, for their religion (Eusebius quoting Philo).
      Whosoever forsaketh not father and mother, houses and lands, cannot
      be my disciples. (Luke 14:26, 33)

      8. They being sometimes called monks was owing to their abstraction
      from the world (Eusebius).
      They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world (John 17:16).

      9. They were called Ascetics because of their rigid discipline, their
      prayers, fasting, self-mortification, as they made themselves eunuchs
      (remained chaste).
      There be eunuchs which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom
      of heaven's sake. (Mt 19:12)

      10.They maintained a perfect community of goods, and an equality of
      external rank.
      Whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant (Mt 20:27).

      11. They had all things in common and appointed one of their number
      to manage the common bag.
      And had all things in common (Acts 2:44; Acts 4:32).

      12.They detested all ornamental dress and considered it vanity of
      heart.
      Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the
      hair, and of wearing of gold, and putting on of apparel (1 Peter 3:3).

      13. They would call no man master.
      Be not called Rabbi, for one is your Master (Mt 23:8).

      14. They said the Creator made all mankind equal.
      God hath made of one blood all them that dwell upon the earth.

      15. They renounced oaths, saying, He who cannot be believed with out
      swearing is condemned already.
      But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven,
      neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be
      yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation. (James 5:12)

      16. They would not eat anything which had blood in it, or meat which
      had been offered to idols. Their food was hyssop, and bread, and
      salt; and water their only drink.
      That ye abstain from meat offered to idols, and from blood (Acts
      15:29).

      17. They took nothing with them, neither meat or drink, nor anything
      necessary for the wants of the body.
      Take nothing for your journey; neither staves nor scrip; neither
      bread, neither money, neither have two coats apiece.

      18. They expounded the literal sense of the Holy Scriptures by
      allegory. ( Symbolic representation)
      Which things are an allegory. (Gal 4:24.)

      19. They abjured the pleasures of the body, not desiring mortal
      offspring, and they renounced marriage, believing it to be
      detrimental to a holy life.
      They that shall be counted worthy of that world and the resurrection
      neither marry nor are given in marriage. (Mt 22:30, Luke 20:35) The
      unmarried careth for the things of the Lord (1 Cor 7:32).

      20. They strove to disengage their minds entirely from the world.
      If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (1
      John 2:15)

      21. They provide not for future subsistence, devoting themselves to
      the Lord.
      Take no thought for the morrow, what ye shall eat and drink. (Matt
      6:34)

      22. They were ashamed to give the body sustenance, Regarding it as a
      prison.
      Who shall change our vile bodies? (Phil 3:21).

      23. They spent nearly all their time in silent meditation and inward
      prayer.
      Men ought always to pray. (Luke 18:1). Pray without ceasing (1 Thess
      5:17).

      24. They vowed perpetual chastity and poverty, believing the poor
      were the Lord's favorites.
      Blessed be ye poor (Luke 6:20). Hath not God chosen the poor? (James
      2:5).

      25. They devoted themselves entirely to contemplation in divine
      things.
      Mediate upon these (divine) things; give thyself wholly to them (1
      Tim 4:15).

      26. They fasted often, sometimes tasting food but once in three or
      even six days.
      Christ's disciples fasted often. Fasting is mentioned over fifty
      times in the A.V. (2 Cor 11:27; 5:34).

      27. They offered no sacrifices, believing that a serious and devout
      soul was most acceptable.
      There is no more offering for sin (Heb 10:18).

      28. They believed in and practiced baptizing the (spiritually) dead.
      Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead (1 Cor 15:29).

      29. They gave a mystical sense to the Scriptures, disregarding the
      letter.
      The letter killeth, but the spirit maketh alive (1 Cor 3:6).

      30. They had many mysteries in their religion which they were sworn
      to keep secret.
      To you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom; to them it
      is not given (Mt 13:11). Great is the mystery of godliness. (1 Tim
      3:16)

      31. They taught by metaphors, symbols, and parables as not to reveal
      their inner teachings.
      Without a parable spake he not unto them. (Mt 13:34)

      32. They had in their churches, bishops, elders, deacons, and priests.
      Ordain elders in every church (Acts 14:23). Deacons (1 Tim 3:1).

      33. They would often sing psalms when assembled together.
      Teaching and admonishing one another in psalms (Col 3:16).

      34. They healed and cured the minds and bodies of those who joined
      them.
      Healing all manner of sickness (Mt 4:23).

      35. They practiced certain ceremonial purifications by water.
      The accomplishment of the days of purification (Acts 21:26).

      36. They were clothed in white garments.
      Shall be clothed in white garments (Rev 3:4).

      37. They disbelieved in the resurrection of the external body.
      It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body (1 Cor
      15:44).

      38. They were the only sort of men who lived without money and
      without women (Pliny).
      The love of money is the root of all evil (1 Tim 6:10). Christ's
      disciples traveled without money or scrip and eschew the lusts of the
      flesh.

      39. They practiced the extremist charity to the poor.
      Bestow all thy goods to feed the poor (1 Cor 13:3).

      40. They were skillful in interpreting dreams, and in foretelling
      future events.
      Your sons and daughters shall prophesy and your old men shall dream
      dreams. (Acts 2:17).

      41. They believed in a paradise, and in a place of never- ending
      lamentations.
      Life everlasting (Gal 8:8). Weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth
      (Mt 13:42).

      42. They affirmed, says Josephus, that God foreordained all the
      events of human life.
      Foreordained before the foundation of the world (1 Peter).

      43. They believed in Mediators between God and the souls of men.
      One Mediator between God and men (1 Tim 2:5).

      44. They practiced the pantomimic representation of the death,
      burial, and resurrection of God -Christ the Spirit.
      With respect to the death, burial, resurrection of Christ, see 1 Cor
      15:4.

      45. They inculcated the forgiveness of injuries.
      Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do (Luke 23:34).

      46. They disapproved of war between brothers.
      If my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight (John
      18:36).

      47. They inculcated obedience to magistrates, and to the civil
      authorities.
      Obey them which have the rule over you (Heb 13:17; 26:65).

      48. They retired within themselves to receive interior revelations of
      divine truth.
      Every one of you hath a revelation (1 Cor 14:26).

      49. They were scrupulous in speaking the truth.
      Speaking all things in truth (2 Cor 7:14).

      50. They perform many wonderful miracles.
      Many texts teach us that Christ and his apostles did the same.

      51. They put all members on the same level, forbidding the exercise
      of authority of one over another.
      Christ did the same (Mt 20:25; Mk 9:35).

      52. They laid the greatest stress on being meek and lowly in spirit.
      Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. (Mt 5:5; 9:28)

      53. They commended the poor in spirit, those who hunger and thirst
      after righteousness, and the merciful, and the pure in heart.
      For proof that Christ did the same, see Mt.

      54. They commended the peacemakers.
      Blessed are the peacemakers. (Matt 5:9)

      55. They performed cures, as signs and proof of their faith.
      Christ's disciples were to cast out devils, heal the sick, and raise
      the dead as signs and proof of their faith (Mk 16:17).

      56. They sacrificed the lusts of the flesh to gain spiritual
      happiness.
      You abstain from fleshly lusts (1 Peter 2:11).

      57. They broke bread as a ritual.
      He (Jesus) took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it (Luke 22:19).

      58. They were wont to sell their possessions and their substance, and
      divide among all according as any one had need so that there was not
      one among them in want, even as it is related in the Acts of the
      Apostles (Eusebius).
      For whoever, of Christ's disciples, were owners of estates or houses,
      sold them, and brought the price thereof, and laid them at the
      apostles' feet, and distribution was made as every one had need. So
      Philo relates things exactly similar of the Essenes.
      Neither was their any among them that lacked, for as many as were
      possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the price of the
      things that were sold (Acts 4:34).

      59. They enjoined, Doing unto others as you would have them do unto
      you.
      The Confucian golden rule, as taught by Christ.

      60. They considered (all) men and women to be equal.
      There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there
      is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. (Gal
      3:28)

      61. They enjoined the loving of enemies (Philo).
      Love your enemies. (Matt 5:44, Luke 6:27)

      Visit The Nazarene Way of Essenic Studies main site:
      http://www.thenazareneway.com

      Add your thoughts, words and blessings to our Guest Archive at:
      http://www.thenazareneway.com/guestbook/guestbook.html

      Let me know your thoughts. I have some more, but I cannot site all
      the sources, so the credibility may be harder to prove.
      Love and peas
      DarkChylde