12661Re: Fwd: [christiandruids] The People of the Scrolls

    Aug 3, 2006
      Darkchylde

      >>>Hmmm. I give up. Should I ask her?<<<

      Sure, if you wish. I think, though, that we can point out simple and
      obvious problems with the proposition, such as the fact that the
      Essenes don't predate the Greek Mysteries.

      >>>Well, I'm quite sure that is as true today as it was then. But I
      don't believe Yeshua was a rabbi, personally, although he was
      refered to as one I don't think he felt as if he was one-at least he
      didn't refer to himself in that manner. If he had been, I doubt if
      the established religious orders would have considered him as much
      of a threat.<<<

      Agreed, the term "rabbi" was simply a common term that need not have
      implied an official office or position in a particular sect.

      >>>Such trails seem to be blazed frequently in this forum. I am of the
      personal belief that all religions are different paths to the same
      light (even mine), but some paths do go round and round more than
      others; however, I understand your need to set yourself apart. I do
      find it facinating that you are so sure of what the ancients
      thought. Do you channel, by any chance?<<<

      Channel? No *lol*... I simply read. Rather anticlimactic, I know.
      Perhaps I should try to cultivate a greater taste for drama. Still,
      it is pretty amazing that without even canneling I have been able to
      determine what William Blake felt about the Christian Church, what
      the anabaptists believed about baptism, Dante's political
      affiliation, and many other bits of trivia.... including what the
      Gnostics generally believed about some things.

      In any event, it is simple deduction on my part that when they talk
      about religions they believe to be false (such as those who follow
      the Demiurge) it implies they believe religions can be false.
      Perhaps, though, you feel I am far to speculative in making such a
      leap. If you feel you can make a better case for another view being
      presented in Gnostic texts, then it is what we are here to explore
      and I encourage you to do so.

      There is a hint in Apoc of John (for instance) that this particular
      author (or redactionist) felt all were eventually saved (which isn't
      exactly the same as saying all paths lead to the same place, but it
      could be interprated in a similar vein). Even then it states that
      some are taken by a false messege, a "counterfeit spirit". Most
      Gnostic texts are pretty clear in their message that not everyone
      finds Gnosis, and that there are indeed false paths and errors. Some
      even go so far as to state that they are part of an exclusive and
      seperate "race" of beings. I am simply taking them at their word on
      that one and assuming they mean what they said.

      This is not to argue or imply that you should agree with those
      Gnostics.