12515Old vs new

    Jul 6, 2006
      Ok, I am going to ask a loaded question that I know will make my
      fellow mods here cringe! *lol* Now, this question is quite frankly
      assumed in most forums on the net, and the reason I am asking it here
      is that the assumption (either way) is almost never accompanied with
      an explination or even a thought process. Most in this group have the
      ability to debate in an intelligent and non-partial way (we tend to
      get rid of the evangelists pretty quickly here *lol*), and even those
      of us who are less concerned with objectivity here tend to at least be
      willing to really look at the possibilities that come up in discussion.

      I have seen many people suggest that modern notions of Gnosticism
      outweigh ancient forms. So here is the question; Why
      would "Gnosticism" need to "keep up with the times", so to speak? In
      what way would it need to be modernized, or what is it failing by
      modern standards?

      Inversely, is it possible that in trying to modernize "Gnosticism" it
      could loose something? Get dumbed down somehow?

      I would like to see some genuine conversation on this, not assumptions
      or preconceptions.