12512Re: Apocryphon of John and "Salvation"

    Jun 30, 2006

      > though, and definitely not just "mystical experience."<<<
      >
      > I sure am glad somebody with a wider readership finally pointed that
      > out. In most of the discussions here on the net it seems an
      > assumptions that "Gnosis" is not only a synonym for the mystical
      > experience for modern "Gnostics" of the more New Age type, but meant
      > exactly the same thing to the historical Gnostics as well.
      Suggesting
      > that this is not what the word meant in that context is often met
      with
      > unthinking hostility.
      >
      > PMCV

      Oh, you know, PMCV, I'd better be very careful how I word things. Dr.
      King didn't say those exact words. I was just summarizing and noting
      the fact that her list included more than "reception of revealed
      knowledge." But she does plainly state a full list of items necessary
      for salvation that goes beyond mystical experience. And certainly we
      have seen the idea of things like "study" met with derision even right
      on this board.

      Her full paragraph (p. 129-130) reads:

      "Salvation is, however, far from automatic, although all of humanity
      will ultimately be saved, except apostates who blaspheme the Spirit.
      People are potentially able to receive the Spirit of Life because they
      were created in the divine image, but to perfect that image and gain
      salvation requires the reception of revealed knowledge, study,
      extirpation of the passions, purification from all evil, and rituals
      of baptism and healing."