12462Re: It's in our DNA

    Jun 11, 2006
      Barbara

      >>>What makes you think the ancient Gnostics had absoulte truth? It
      seems that if they had, they would have been the victors instead of
      the orthodox Christian group and the world would be an entirely
      different place!<<<

      It is not my intent to state whether the Gnostics HAD the absolute
      truth. You misunderstand my point there, Barbara. My point is that
      the Gnostics of old BELIEVED there is an absolute truth (even if
      sometimes they admitted that they didn't completely have it, they
      believed it was there all the same). How do I know they believed
      that? Because they tell us over and over that it is core to the very
      function of thier system.

      No one here can completely refute the notion of absolute relativism,
      nor can they refute the notion of absolute truth. It is not my place
      or intent to convince you either way, I am not here to be a
      spiritual guru. That is a question you have to answer for yourself,
      and let others answer for themselves. Instead we are simply here to
      try and see how the Gnostics looked at the situation so that we can
      understand what they believed accurately before we either agree or
      disagree with them. After that it is your own business. And heck, in
      the process of understanding them, they may even make us think about
      it and help us define our own thinking a bit better.... even if we
      disagree with them.

      Now, if you wish to talk about it on a more philosophical level,
      then we need not even drag the Gnostics into it... but then we
      wouldn't really be talking about the focus of this group (which is
      Gnosticism). However, talking about it that way would require some
      smoothing out of what appears to be some serious core
      inconsistancies in your points (or at least the way you communicated
      those points). Not to say you are right or wrong, just that you seem
      to be hopping over the fence and making points for both sides
      without seeming to realize it. Or maybe you do realize and you are
      just trying to confuse poor ol' befuddled minds like mine ;)