12384Re: Valentinian Exegesis of the Pauline Corpus

    May 4, 2006
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, --Michael <epsilon717@...> wrote:

      > --- pmcvflag <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >
      > > Hey Michael
      > >
      > > The so called "Other Bible" is just a collection you can
      > most likely find at any larger bookstore.
      > >

      > Sorry. Still confused. I haunt the local Borders. Never have
      > seen anything like what you describe. Are you referring to
      > collections such as Nag Hammadi, books thereon, or the
      > so-called "Gnostic Bible?"
      >
      > If you're not referring to a specific book but, rather, to a
      > set of texts, why the word "bible?" The connotation is
      > something authoritative (there used to be a "Shooter's" and
      > an "Angler's Bible" some years back).

      Hi, Michael. _The Other Bible_ is edited by Willis Barnstone,
      http://web.whittier.edu/barnstone/OTHERBIBLE.HTM

      who also was one of the editors of the more recent _The Gnostic
      Bible_.

      Both books are available in bookstores and through online
      booksellers. I wouldn't get hung up on the term "bible" regarding
      these two modern collections of various religious texts, although I
      agree that the connotation can be confusing. They are *not* intended
      to be compilations of texts for specific religious use with an
      absolute authoritarian function. In fact, I think the editors of
      _The Gnostic Bible_ realized misunderstanding that could ensue from
      use of the word "bible," and they do explain the history and their
      use of the term in the introduction to the book. They specifically
      say that "the sacred literature in this Bible constitutes no closed
      canon."

      > > All in all, if you want to explore Gnosticism then the Nag
      > Hammadi Library is BY FAR the general collection to get. Of
      > course, the recently translated "Gospel of Judas" (edt.
      > Kasser Meyer, Wurst) is also part of the same genre and
      > widely available. If you read the notes it is actually kind
      > of a good intro to Gnosticism in general.
      > >
      > > PMCV
      >
      > Much appreciated.
      >
      > Notes and explanations are what I need. Reading the texts
      > without background and context is rather fruitless for me.

      PMCV's recommendation, _The Nag Hammadi Library_, edited by James M.
      Robinson, does provide helpful introductions to works. In addition,
      if you like annotations, you'll find plenty in Bentley Layton's _The
      Gnostic Scriptures_, which contains selected scriptures.