      From: pmcvflag
      Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 2:20 AM
      Subject: [Gnosticism2] Re: Valentinian Exegesis of the Pauline Corpus

      Hey Michael

      The so called "Other Bible" is just a collection you can most likely
      find at any larger bookstore. As with the "Gnostic Bible" it should
      be seen in the context of the intent of the editors. You can find
      most of these texts online for free at http://www.gnosis.org/
      (Icybrethovhecate need not have suggested these texts to Mike, since
      it is Mike's church that has put these texts online and Mike is well
      versed in these sources).

      Many of these texts in both the "Other Bible" and the "Gnostic
      Bible" are texts you will also find in the Nag Hammadi. The writings
      of Ptolemy, along with the writings of Theodotus and Heracleon (also
      both important Valentinian sources) are found in heresiological
      sources.... again all found on the Gnosis.org site I mentioned above.

      All in all, if you want to explore Gnosticism then the Nag Hammadi
      Library is BY FAR the general collection to get. Of course, the
      recently translated "Gospel of Judas" (edt. Kasser Meyer, Wurst) is
      also part of the same genre and widely available. If you read the
      notes it is actually kind of a good intro to Gnosticism in general.

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, --Michael <epsilon717@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the links.
      >
      > The ebay link didn't work (I did paste the entire URL).
      >
      > Never heard of the Other Bible. What might that be?
      >

      > --Michael
      >

      > --- icybrethovhecate <icybrethovhecate@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I hope you enjoy the above links.  I couldn't find the
      > document I really wanted "Ptolemy's Valentinian System",
      > but is  contained in the Other Bible(which is a good purchase
      > anyway) http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Other-Bible-brand-

      new_W0QQitemZ4636853984QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie
      > > Item

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic