12373Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Valentinian Exegesis of the Pauline Corpus

  • Michael Leavitt
    May 1, 2006
      Steve wrote:
      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Michael Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Steve wrote:
      >>
      >>> Hello. Has anyone here taken a particular interest in the
      >>>
      > Valentinian
      >
      >>> (Heracleon, Marcus, Ptolemy, Theodotus) exegesis of the Pauline
      >>> letters, as reported by the Heresiologists? With the availability
      >>>
      > of
      >
      >>> such texts as The interpretation of Knowledge, it may be now
      >>>
      > possible
      >
      >>> to come to some reliable conclusions. Any comments would be
      >>>
      > appreciated.
      >
      >>> Yours, Steve W.
      >>>
      >>> There is always Pagels THE GNOSTIC PAUL.
      >>>
      >>> Hi Mike. Yes, I already have her book. I am intrigued by the
      >>>
      > possibility that the Valentinian tradition did, in fact, go back to
      > the esoteric teaching of Paul. The letters that most scholars accept
      > as either being by Paul or at least of the Pauline School use so much
      > gnostic terminology and make so many subtle references to gnostic
      > theology that I can no longer dismiss the connection. What do you
      > think?
      > Yours, Steve W.

      Years ago I gave a lecture entitled the Gnostic Paul. All I did was go
      through his letters and pick out the most Gnostic statements. I have
      been a fan of Paul as gnostic since the early 1960's.

      --
      M. Leavitt
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic