12368Re: Valentinian Exegesis of the Pauline Corpus

  • Steve
    May 1, 2006

      > Steve wrote:
      > > Hello. Has anyone here taken a particular interest in the
      Valentinian
      > > (Heracleon, Marcus, Ptolemy, Theodotus) exegesis of the Pauline
      > > letters, as reported by the Heresiologists? With the availability
      of
      > > such texts as The interpretation of Knowledge, it may be now
      possible
      > > to come to some reliable conclusions. Any comments would be
      appreciated.
      > > Yours, Steve W.
      > >
      > > There is always Pagels THE GNOSTIC PAUL.
      > >
      > >Hi Mike. Yes, I already have her book. I am intrigued by the
      possibility that the Valentinian tradition did, in fact, go back to
      the esoteric teaching of Paul. The letters that most scholars accept
      as either being by Paul or at least of the Pauline School use so much
      gnostic terminology and make so many subtle references to gnostic
      theology that I can no longer dismiss the connection. What do you
      think?
      Yours, Steve W.
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic